[News] Tens of Millions of Linux Instances Discussed at Linux Expo, Texas Linux Fest Planned

  • Subject: [News] Tens of Millions of Linux Instances Discussed at Linux Expo, Texas Linux Fest Planned
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 22:33:38 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

SCALE 8x: Ten million and one penguins

,----[ Quote ]
| At SCALE 8x, Ronald Minnich gave a
| presentation about the difficulties in trying
| to run millions of Linux kernels for
| simulating botnets. The idea is to be able to
| run a botnet "at scale" to try to determine
| how it behaves. But, even with all of the
| compute power available to researchers at the
| US Department of Energy's Sandia National
| Laboratoriesâwhere Minnich worksâthere are
| still various stumbling blocks to be overcome.
`----

https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/377780/2d8159d1e06e8077/

Texas Linux Fest announces 2010 program

,----[ Quote ]
| Texas Linux Fest has announced the initial
| list of speakers and presentations for its
| inaugural event. Keynote speakers include Joe
| "Zonker" Brockmeier and Randal L. Schwartz,
| with additional presentations by Linux, free
| software, and open source experts such as Jon
| "maddog" Hall, Amber Graner, Bradley Kuhn, and
| Max Spevack.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/377957/

Related:

Srizbi Becomes World's Largest Botnet

,----[ Quote ]
| "Srizbi is the single greatest spam threat we have ever seen. At its peak,
| the highly publicized Storm botnet only accounted for 20 percent of spam.
| Srizbi now produces more spam than all the other botnets combined." said
| Marshal's Bradley Anstis.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146017/srizbi_becomes_worlds_largest_botnet.html

100 e-mail bouncebacks? You've been backscattered.

,----[ Quote ]
| The bounceback e-mail messages come in at a trickle, maybe one or two every
| hour. The subject lines are disquieting: "Cyails, Vygara nad
| Levytar," "UNSOLICITED BULK EMAIL, apparently from you."
|
| You eye your computer screen; you're nervous. What's going on ? Have you been
| hacked? Are you some kind of zombie botnet spammer?
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1698505531&rid=-50

Bots rule in cyberspace

,----[ Quote ]
| USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
| computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
| and to mine for sensitive personal data.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17/bots-rule-cyberspace
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2008-03-16-computer-botnets_N.htm

Botnets Running Rampant