[News] Nokia's Linux Phones More Like a Desktop

  • Subject: [News] Nokia's Linux Phones More Like a Desktop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:30:57 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Hands on with Nokia's N900: When is a phone not a phone?

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia might dominate the global phone market
| but its clunky old S60 operating system just
| doesn't cut it anymore, taking the shine off
| impressive new devices such as the N97 mini.
| Facing serious competition on all sides, the
| Finnish mobile behemoth has unveiled the
| N900 - its first Linux-powered smartphone
| running the Maemo 5 mobile operating system
`----

http://blogs.brisbanetimes.com.au/digital-life/gadgetsonthego/2010/03/10/handsonwithn1.html

VoX Communications Launches Its $69.95 Unlimited Voice and Data Plan on Nokia's N900 Maemo Smart Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| Pervasip's Chief Information Officer Mark
| Richards noted, "We are very excited to be a
| voice and data service provider for this
| mobile computer. The N900 uses the Linux
| derivative Maemo operating system, an open-
| source platform that enables the Maemo
| community to freely modify and continually
| develop software as part of the shared goal
| of bringing added value to Maemo. VoX is a
| Linux shop and we employ several Linux
| experts. We congratulate Nokia for
| developing such a sensational introductory
| Linux phone. In our opinion, there has never
| been a more responsive and intuitive
| device."
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/vox-communications-launches-its-6995-unlimited-voice-and-data-plan-on-nokias-n900-maemo-smart-phone-2010-03-10?reflink=MW_news_stmp

My 2010 Nokia QWERTY smackdown.

,----[ Quote ]
| I put the N900 around the middle of the
| pack. Despite the keys being crammed up
| against each other theyâve a slight contour
| to them, so youâll have little trouble
| finding the one you want. Pressing a key
| yields a satisfying click, but compared to
| my #2 keypad theyâre maybe just a bit stiff.
`----

http://openattitude.com/2010/03/10/my-2010-nokia-qwerty-smackdown/

Tinymail 1.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| At the core of the Nokia 900's Modest email
| client is Tinymail, a library for developing
| mobile apps with email features. Three years
| in the making, Tinymail 1.0 has made it out
| the door. In addition to making it past the
| 1.0 barrier, this release brings a bunch of
| improvements and new features for the
| project.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/tinymail-1-0-released

Recent:

MeeGo code coming in March, will run on Atom boards and N900

,----[ Quote ]
| In an announcement published last week,
| Nokia's Valtteri Halla revealed that Intel
| and Nokia are planning to launch the public
| MeeGo source code repository by the end of
| the month.
|
| The MeeGo project began to take shape last
| month when Intel and Nokia announced plans
| to merge their respective Linux-based
| mobile computing platforms into a single
| open source software project. The unified
| software platform, which consists of
| technology from Maemo and Moblin, will be
| designed for use on a wide range of device
| form factors and will support both ARM and
| x86 architectures.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/03/meego-code-coming-in-march-will-run-on-atom-boards-and-n900.ars

The Linux Box in My Pocket