[News] Interview With Ubuntu CEO, Other Ubuntu News

  • Subject: [News] Interview With Ubuntu CEO, Other Ubuntu News
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:12:30 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Meet Ubuntu Linux's new CEO (Q&A)

,----[ Quote ]
| Jane Silber has been chief executive of
| Canonical for 11 days.
|
| But she's no outsider swooping in to take
| over Ubuntu Linux's corporate sponsor. She
| joined Canonical in June 2004, two months
| after previous CEO Mark Shuttleworth
| founded the company with a few programmers
| he recruited from the Debian Linux project
| on which Ubuntu is based.
|
| Since then Canonical has grown to about 320
| employees and has made Ubuntu a major
| presence in the world of Linux--version
| 10.04, one of the important "long-term
| support" versions that arrives every two
| years, is due in April. It's an unusually
| sustained effort to make Linux a force on
| desktop and laptop computers, and among
| Canonical's accomplishments is a mainstream
| foothold on Dell PCs.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20000198-264.html

Using testdrive to save time on testing.

,----[ Quote ]
| Aha, indeed by default we donât ship that
| weird icon in the tray. Whew! The best part
| of this is tomorrow when we need to know
| about how something is working in the
| default install we just click on the wheel,
| let it sync, test, confirm, and then move
| on! And since it keeps a cache you never
| have to redownload the whole ISO. And
| thereâs things in there for -server,
| netbooks, and other arches, so itâs handy
| to check things across different kinds of
| Ubuntu.
`----

http://castrojo.wordpress.com/2010/03/11/using-testdrive-to-save-time-on-testing/

New Ubiquity slide-show for Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

,----[ Quote ]
| Along with the new theme, Ubuntu 10.04
| Lucid Lynx is getting a new ubiquity slide-
| show. What is Ubiquity slide-show? It is
| the slide-show you see when the Ubuntu
| installation is taking place.
`----

http://digitizor.com/2010/03/12/sneak-peak-new-ubiquity-slide-show-for-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx/

Time For Ubuntu to Fork Evolution

,----[ Quote ]
| No one can deny the current face of Linux
| to the masses is Ubuntu. Itâs massively
| more popular than any other distro which
| makes it the flagship for breaking existing
| market strangleholds.
|
| Take the Enterprise server OS market for
| instance, a traditionally strong area for
| Linux anyway, Canonical (the controlling
| company of Ubuntu) have rightly seen where
| they need to position themselves to gain
| the advantage with Server OSâs and have
| gone down the Cloud route with Ubuntu
| Enterprise Cloud. Also - beefing up the
| support options and the packaging to at
| least align themselves with the normal
| market leaders Suse and Red Hat helps to
| gain further server adoption by to using
| the momentum of all the other Ubuntu areas
| and user allegiances.
`----

http://wmdzone.blogspot.com/2010/03/time-for-ubuntu-to-port-evolution.html

Canonical's design team responds to theme criticisms

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical is burying Ubuntu's traditional
| brown theme and is adopting a new visual
| style for version 10.04, which is scheduled
| for release in April. The new theme was
| revealed last week as part of Canonical's
| broader effort to overhaul Ubuntu's
| branding and visual identity.
|
| The new theme includes a richer color
| palette and a number of stylistic
| enhancements. The change that has generated
| the most controversy is the placement of
| the window management buttons in the left-
| hand side of the titlebar. In response to
| some of the concerns that have been raised
| by users, Canonical designer Ivanka Majic
| has written a blog entry that describes the
| reasons behind the change. Majic is also
| seeking additional feedback from the Ubuntu
| community.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/03/canonicals-design-team-responds-to-theme-criticisms.ars

The Ubuntu One music store and free software for profit

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the features expected with the
| upcoming Ubuntu 10.04 release is the Ubuntu
| One Music Store (UOMS). The UOMS is a
| mechanism by which Ubuntu users can
| purchase songs in the MP3 format, with some
| of the revenue going to support Canonical.
| These songs are evidently compressed at a
| relatively high bit rate and lack any sort
| of DRM or watermarks. Support for the UOMS
| has been integrated into the Rhythmbox
| music player, with support for other
| players expected in the future. Discussion
| of this new feature has been relatively
| subdued thus far, but developers elsewhere
| are beginning to take notice and ask some
| questions about the extent to which the
| UOMS should be supported.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/376635/