[News] Robotics Sidling with Free Software, Openness in Journalism Too

  • Subject: [News] Robotics Sidling with Free Software, Openness in Journalism Too
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:59:21 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Pint-sized robot takes giant strides

,----[ Quote ]
| "We have already built around 20 of them,"
| Professor Caldwell said. "So there are 20
| projects connected with iCub currently
| under way, each of them with around five
| people. People are starting to do useful
| things with the robots and everyone has a
| different interest in what they want the
| robot to do. Because itâs all open source,
| and we exchange our programs, the number of
| lines of code is rising extremely quickly.
| And the code is always made available for
| download.
`----

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article7054147.ece

The rise of open source: Thoughts on TEDxNYED

,----[ Quote ]
| The first article mentioning the phrase âopen
| source journalismâ was apparently published
| in Salon magazine in 1999, describing an
| experiment that had been run by Janeâs
| Intelligence Review, a U.K. military journal.
| The journal asked readers of Slashdot to
| provide feedback on an article about cyber-
| terrorism, and they responded so
| enthusiastically â âslicing and dicingâ the
| story âinto tiny little pieces,â Salon had it
| â that âthe editor, Johan J Ingles-le Nobel,
| declared that he would write a new article
| incorporating the Slashdot comments, and
| would compensate Slashdot participants whose
| words made it into the final copy.â
`----

http://www.niemanlab.org/2010/03/the-rise-of-open-source-thoughts-on-tedxnyed/

Recent:

Android Phone Grows Up, Becomes Brain for Real Robot

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/03/android-robot/