[News] Ballnux Users Discovers PCLinuxOS 2010

  • Subject: [News] Ballnux Users Discovers PCLinuxOS 2010
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:23:03 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

PCLinuxOS 2010 beta - fantastic!

,----[ Quote ]
| Setting up my HP wireless printer/scanner
| was also painless, that took me days of
| bashing my head against the keyboard
| fighting with the hplip drivers in 11.2,
| where it wouldn't work if you selected the
| printer the software discovered, you had to
| enter the IP manually. Plus PCLOS set the
| scanner part up automatically, that has to
| be done seperately in 11.2.
`----

http://forums.opensuse.org/general-chit-chat/434865-pclinuxos-2010-beta-fantastic.html

HP Elite 7000 Microtower review

,----[ Quote ]
| However, we still tested the stock version
| and came away impressed. For the vast
| majority of computing tasks â using Evolution
| to check your POP mail, burning a DVD disc
| using LightScribe (included with this SLED
| build) and even playing games or watching
| movies â the Elite 7000 is up to the task.
| Where we noticed a performance degradation is
| when we compared Linux-to-Linux between this
| system and a home-built PC that uses an SSD
| drive, an Nvidia Quadro CX graphics card and
| has 6GB of RAM. There was no comparison, of
| course â the home-built system was snappier
| even for popping up Firefox, copying files
| and running simulations with a program like
| Autodesk Revit Architecture (which normally
| prefers a workstation PC).
`----

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/reviews/hpelite-7000-microtower-review/

Recent:

PCLinuxOS 2010 mini review

,----[ Quote ]
| If you are looking for a Linux distro
| specialized for the common everyday desktop
| computer then PCLOS is the number one
| choice. Like the much advertised MacOSX,
| PCLOS is ready to do every fun stuff, like
| watch online videos, download files using
| torrents, do some photo editing make DVD
| slideshows etc., right after install. PCLOS
| 2010 is the first release featuring KDE 4 as
| default desktop. Despite using KDE 4, the
| PCLOS architects have managed to maintain
| the original and unique style of this great
| distro. Though KDE4 series is radically
| different from KDE 3, an average Joe user
| who installs PCLOS 2010 wouldn't be able to
| tell the difference. I think this would
| greatly help in KDE 4 adoption among more
| and more people. I am looking forward for
| the final release to install on my ASUS Nova
| lite mini desktop at home which is currently
| running PCLOS 2009.
`----

http://linuxexperimentation.blogspot.com/2010/03/pclinuxos-2010-mini-review.html

PCLinuxOS 2010 Beta 1

,----[ Quote ]
| I have been looking at PCLinuxOS 2010 Beta 1
| because I like the rolling release concept
| and PCLinuxOS does keep things rolling. I
| have the beta installed on a system with an
| NVidea GeForce 220 GT and an HP HDMI 25"
| wide screen flat panel display, this
| combination is very problematic for most
| distribution but has no issues of any kind
| in the beta. Plymouth is installed by
| default, it does not currently work from the
| Live CD but works fine in the installed
| system. Plymouth will work on the Live CD
| for the final release and this was presented
| as a known issue. The Plymouth issue is
| minor and it gave me the opportunity to see
| that there were no errors at start up.
`----

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=43512&start=0

Mandriva displays its products at the 2010 Solutions Linux exhibition

,----[ Quote ]
| Paris, March 10th, 2010 - Mandriva, Europe's
| leading Linux solutions publisher, will
| display its latest products at the 2010
| Solutions Linux exhibition, from March 16 to
| 18 at the porte de Versailles Exhibition
| Centre â Hall 1 â Stand E 29.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2010-03-10-024-35-PR-MD

PCLinuxOS 2010 Rocks Even in the Beta Stage

,----[ Quote ]
| The wait is over! Tex and the Rippers
| announced PCLinuxOS 2010 on 6th March,
| 2010. Final iso is very close.
|
| PCLinuxOS-2010.beta1 has gathered all the
| goodies: latest 2.6.32.8 kernel with BFS
| scheduler, full ext4 support, KDE 4.4.1 SC
| and the latest applications. Besides, users
| having more than 4Gig of RAM can pull in a
| PAE kernel from the repo.
`----

http://pclinuxos2007.blogspot.com/2010/03/pclinuxos-2010-rocks-even-in-beta-stage.html

PCLinuxOS 2010 Beta 1 released

,----[ Quote ]
| PCLinuxOS Logo The PCLinuxOS developers
| have announced the release of the first
| beta for the 2010 edition of their Linux
| distribution. The distribution's goal is to
| be "radically simple" and easy to use. The
| latest development release includes a
| number of changes and updates.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/PCLinuxOS-2010-Beta-1-released-949385.html

PCLinuxOS 2010 beta review

,----[ Quote ]
| Once upon a time, PCLinuxOS was the biggest
| desktop distro. It came from nowhere
| straight to the top, beating Ubuntu and
| other big distros.
`----

http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2010/03/09/pclinuxos-2010-beta-review/

PCLinuxOS-2010-beta1.iso release information

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://pclinuxos.com/?p=425