[News] Nettops and Netbooks with GNU/Linux Sold for Low Price

  • Subject: [News] Nettops and Netbooks with GNU/Linux Sold for Low Price
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:41:54 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Nettop taps Ion 2 GPU

,----[ Quote ]
| Shuttle announced a Barebone XS35 nettop
| equipped with a dual-core Intel Atom D510, and
| Nvidia Ion 2 graphics. Meanwhile NewEgg is
| selling a Linux-equipped Eee Box B202 nettop
| for only $189, and the Eee PC-oriented Eeebuntu
| distro is moving from Ubuntu to Debian with EB
| 4.0.

Dell offers new Mini 10 netbook with Linux in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell Japan is selling the Linux version of the
| new Inspiron Mini 10 netbook. Like the Windows
| version, the Linux model has a 1.66GHz Intel
| Atom N450 processor, a 10.1 inch, 1024 x 600
| pixel display, 1GB of RAM, a 160GB hard drive,
| and 802.11b/g/n WiFi. But it comes with an open
| source operating system.
|
| The product description says this model comes
| with Ubuntu 9.10, Moblin 2.1. Itâs not entirely
| clear what that means, but my best guess is
| that itâs a version of Ubuntu Linux that uses
| the latest version of the Moblin user interface
| and incorporates Moblinâs optimizations for
| speedy performance on a low power Intel Atom
| chipset.
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2010/03/dell-offers-new-mini-10-netbook-with-linux-in-japan.html

Recent:

Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 on an entry-level netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| Once installed, booting UNR from power on to login prompt was a swift 35
| seconds. Thatâs 13 seconds off Windows7 RCâs time on the exact same hardware.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/24883/1143/

Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 Beta released

,----[ Quote ]