[News] How GNU/Linux is Doing at Text-to-Speech, Graphics Stack Improving

  • Subject: [News] How GNU/Linux is Doing at Text-to-Speech, Graphics Stack Improving
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:46:04 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Text-to-Speech Software for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Text-to-Speech Software for Linux: If you've
| been using Mac OS X or Windows Vista before,
| you may be a bit disappointed to learn that
| there's no speech synthesizer or text-to-speech
| (TTS) application that is installed by default
| on your Linux distribution. For those of you
| who don't know what a speech synthesizer is,
| it's simply a computer program that converts
| normal language text into speech. Text-to-
| speech software can be of great help
| particularly for people who are visually
| impaired and those who are mute.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2010/03/text-to-speech-software-for-linux.html

The software renderer

,----[ Quote ]
| Currently the entire fragment pipeline is code-
| generated. Over the last two weeks I've been
| implementing the vertex pipeline, which I'm
| hoping to merge soon (hence the light smile).
| Code generating the entire vertex pipeline
| isn't exactly trivial, but one can divide it
| into individual pieces and that makes it a bit
| easier. Start with the vertex shader, then go
| back and do the fetch and translate, then again
| move forward and do the emit, then go back and
| do the viewport transformations and clipping
| and so on, finally combine all the pieces
| together.
`----

http://zrusin.blogspot.com/2010/03/software-renderer.html

Recent:

Intel spins text-to-speech device for the visually impaired

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel announced a Linux-based device with
| optical character recognition and text-to-
| speech technology. Designed for visually
| impaired or dyslexic users, the Atom-based
| Intel Reader is equipped with a five-megapixel
| camera for snapping photographs of text, which
| it then simultaneously displays and reads
| aloud, says Intel.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Intel-Reader/?kc=rss

IDEO: Intel Reader for the visually impaired revealed

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://m.pocket-lint.com/news/news.phtml/29417