[News] Tablets with GNU/Linux Come in Large Quantities, Different Models

  • Subject: [News] Tablets with GNU/Linux Come in Large Quantities, Different Models
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:03:06 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

JooJooâs trip to the FCC reveals N270 Atom, Nvidia ION internals

,----[ Quote ]
| The JooJoo will ship with a Linux user
| interface, however other pictures from the
| FCC show it running with Windows 7 that
| could point to future OS choice. The non-
| removable battery should last for 5 hours.
| The JooJoo is due to launch on 25 March.
| Check out some more pictures below.
`----

http://www.netbookchoice.com/2010/03/11/joojoo%E2%80%99s-trip-to-the-fcc-reveals-n270-atom-nvidia-ion-internals/

Here comes Linux's iPad clones

,----[ Quote ]
| But â and this is the important bit â you
| don't have to buy an Apple iPad to get all
| of the iPad's goodies. ARM, a mobile
| microprocessor power, is predicting that
| we'll see no less than 50 ARM processor-
| powered iPad clones by year's end â and
| these ARM-powered entertainment tablets will
| all be running Linux.
|
| There will be also other Linux-powered iPad
| clones. Some of them will be running
| Android. Others will be running MeeGo, which
| is Intel and Nokia's combining of their
| embedded Linux efforts. These latter devices
| will have the new Intel Atom Pineview
| processor family at their heart.
|
| All these Linux entertainment tablets are
| going to be cheaper than the iPad. You can
| expect to see the first of them by
| midsummer. Some of them will not force DRM
| on your content and, unlike the iPad, you'll
| be able to watch Adobe Flash videos on them.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15742/here_comes_linuxs_ipad_clones

Recent:

Android - the winning formula for tablets and netbooks?

,----[ Quote ]
| What might the iPad have been? Apple
| announced it as a Magical and Revolutionary
| Device, defining "an entirely new category".
| But it actually only addresses a small part
| of the yawning gap between mobile handsets
| and notebook computers, where there's still
| a lot of defining to be done. There's space
| there for dramatically different
| reimaginations of the iPhone, for counter-
| attacks from handset companies, and for
| diverse devices based on Google's Android.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/09/ipad_alternatives_and_android/

$200 Freescale Tablet Runs Android, Chromium OS or Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Remember the Freescale Smart Tablet from CES
| earlier this year? Well its returned with a
| range of compatible operating systems which
| now includes Android, Chromium OS or Linux.
`----

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/200-freescale-tablet-runs-android-chromium-os-or-linux-09-03-2010/

Prototype $200 Tablet Runs Android, Chromium OS, Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| It canât touch the form factor of the iPad
| or some other tablet devices, but a $200
| device that runs the open source Linux,
| Android or Chrome operating systems might
| just find a place in the already-crowded
| tablet world.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/191249/prototype_200_tablet_runs_android_chromium_os_linux.html

Freescaleâs $200 tablet will support Chromium, Android and Linux OSes

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this year at CES, Freescale
| revealed a $200 smartbook tablet reference
| design that they were shopping around to
| partners.
|
| It was a beautiful tablet for the price,
| powered by a 1GHz i.MX515 ARM processo.
| Other specs included 512MB of DDR2 RAM, a
| 1,024 x 600 multitouch screen, between 4GB
| to 64GB of internal storage, a microSD
| expansion slot, optional 3G WWAN module,
| 802.11b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth 2.1, GPS, a USB
| 2.0 socket, audio in / out, 3 megapixel
| camera, inbuilt 3-axis accelerometer, an
| ambient light sensor and a 1,900mAh
| battery.
`----

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/freescales-200-tablet-will-support-chromium-android-and-linux-oses-2010039/