[News] FCC Releases Free Software, Web Depends on Freedom

  • Subject: [News] FCC Releases Free Software, Web Depends on Freedom
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 16:25:08 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

FCC Launches Consumer Tool to Test Broadband Connections

,----[ Quote ]
| As with BroadbandCensus.com and the FCC,
| among M-Labâs core goals is to advance
| network research by actively promoting
| openness and transparency: research tools on
| M-Lab must publicly publish their source
| code.
`----

http://broadbandcensus.com/2010/03/fcc-launches-consumer-tool-to-test-broadband-connections/

Open source custom web hosting 'helps small firms'

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source software can offer huge benefits
| to small and medium-sized businesses, it has
| been suggested.
`----

http://www.globalgold.co.uk/web-hosting-news/custom-web-hosting/open-source-custom-web-hosting-helps-small-firms-19665641.html

Everything you need to know about HTML5 video and audio

,----[ Quote ]
| Opera 10.50 has now been released on Windows,
| and it supports the HTML5 video and audio
| elements. But how do you use them? Introduction
| to HTML5 video covers a general introduction
| but doesn't go into the details; Accessible
| HTML5 Video with JavaScripted captions shows
| how captions can be implemented until the spec
| gains proper support for captions; and
| (re-)Introducing <video> has some information
| on Opera's implementation. I recommend reading
| all three!
`----

http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/everything-you-need-to-know-about-html5-video-and-audio/

Recent:

The New FCC and a Small Reality Check

,----[ Quote ]
| Federal Communications Commission Chairman
| Julius Genachowski came to our office today to
| talk about broadband (check it out), and
| during both the event itself and the
| conversations I had with people before and
| after, it became clear to me how optimistic
| many of us should be about the New FCC.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2010/01/06/the-new-fcc-and-a-small-reality-check/

Whoops! F.C.C. Chairman Spams Facebook Friends

,----[ Quote ]
| Facebook scam artists have closed out 2009 by
| snagging a prominent victim: Julius
| Genachowski, chairman of the Federal
| Communications Commission.
|
| On Thursday at around 10:30 a.m., Mr.
| Genachowski sent his Facebook friends this
| puzzling message: âAdam got me started making
| money with this.â It was followed by a link to
| a Web page that is no longer active. The
| message blitz indicated that Mr. Genachowskiâs
| account had been taken over by a malicious
| program that was using it to send out spam.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/whoops-fcc-chairman-spams-facebook-friends/?src=twt&twt=nytimesbits

Is Net Neutrality a FCC Trojan Horse?

,----[ Quote ]
| On Thursday, Federal Communications
| Commission (FCC) Chairman Julius Genachowski
| is expected to unveil draft rules aimed at
| imposing network neutrality obligations on
| Internet Service Providers (ISPs). In the
| excitement surrounding the announcement,
| however, many have overlooked the fact that
| the this rulemaking is built on a shoddy and
| dangerous foundation â the idea that the FCC
| has unlimited authority to regulate the
| Internet.
|
| Genachowski has announced that the draft
| regulations will require ISPs to abide by
| the "Four Freedoms" set forth in the FCC's
| 2005 Internet Policy Statement, as well as
| the additional principles of
| nondiscrimination and transparency. EFF
| strongly believes in these six principles.
| Our work speaks for itself: we are
| developing software tools to Test Your ISP
| in the wake of uncovering Comcastâs meddling
| with BitTorrent traffic, seeking a DMCA
| exemption to let you run applications of
| your choice on your mobile phone, and
| fighting Hollywoodâs efforts to force DRM
| restrictions into your television.
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/09/net-neutrality-fcc-perils-and-promise

Public Knowledge Tells FCC Movie Industry Plan for Set-Top Boxes Will Hurt Consumers

,----[ Quote ]
| A proposal by the motion picture industry to
| use âselectable output controlâ to hobble
| the functions of set top boxes wonât stop
| movie theft but will harm consumers, Public
| Knowledge told the Federal Communications
| Commission
`----

http://www.publicknowledge.org/node/2698

Did the FCC bribe US carriers on net neutrality?

,----[ Quote ]
| Debate at this week's CTIA shindig has
| apparently been about efficient spectrum
| use, but is the FCC just bribing the
| network operators to accept net
| neutrality without a fight?
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/10/us_radio_spectrum/

Lawmakers seek FCC probe into Google Voice

,----[ Quote ]
| A group of Republicans and Democrats in
| the U.S. House of Representatives called
| on the Federal Communications Commission
| to investigate Google Inc's ability to
| block calls to rural telephone exchanges.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSTRE59746O20091008

FCC questions Google Voice's expensive call blocker

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/10/fcc_letter_google_voice/