[News] Why Gnash Can be Better Than Flash and Help the Web

  • Subject: [News] Why Gnash Can be Better Than Flash and Help the Web
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:38:40 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Gnash the pathway to better Flash on the web

,----[ Quote ]
| In the Free Software community there are so
| many differing opinions about everything.
| From why we should use this distro over
| another to whether we have to worry about the
| software running on our cable set top boxes.
| One thing I think that we all can agree on is
| that there is a problem with flash. If you
| use proprietary Adobe flash you have tons of
| issues. Everything from pages rendering
| strange and flickery playback to firefox
| crashing from adobe eating up so much system
| resources. If you use free flash you have a
| whole new set of issues from players not
| rendering quite right or just nor working, to
| skipping playback at times. Even with all
| these issues and problems I will present a
| case that if you choose to use flash in
| Gnu/Linux you should choose a free flash
| player namely Gnash.
|
| [...]
|
| Some people thing that any software is Okay.
| That you should just use the right tool for
| the job. With software it is more then just
| the tool that works today. We must also
| evaluate the potential of that tool tomorrow.
| Adobe has no real potential for us tomorrow
| other then continuing to annoy us. I hope I
| made a case that Gnash is a tool that has
| real use for us today an great potential for
| tomorrow if we put some energy into it. So
| please help support and fund this project use
| gnash and if you can Donate. I know I will.
`----

http://drascus.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/gnash-for-flash-freedom/

Recent:

FLOSS Weekly 94: Gnash

http://twit.tv/floss94

Gnash 0.8.6 Released!

,----[ Quote ]
| Gnash is a GPLv3'd SWF movie player and browser plugin for
| Firefox, Mozilla, and Konqueror. Gnash supports many SWF v7
| features and ActionScript 2 & 3 classes. with growing support
| for SWF versions 8-10. Gnash also runs on many GNU/Linux distributions,
| embedded GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, non x86 processors,
| and 64 bit architectures. There are also standalone players
| for GNOME or KDE based desktops.
`----

http://www.gnashdev.org/?q=node/71

Gnash Developers and Linux Fund Raise Funds for OpenStreetMap Bounty

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-04-28-013-35-PR-CY-SW