[News] GNU/Linux Completing State of Transition to Beautiful Desktop

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Completing State of Transition to Beautiful Desktop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:15:38 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux desktop innovations to look forward to

,----[ Quote ]
| These are testing times: if you want to
| experience the latest advances on the Linux
| desktop, you have to be prepared to test
| things and accept that stability is a
| secondary feature.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/linux-desktop-innovations-to-look-forward-to-674755

Recent:

Personalizing KDE 4.4

,----[ Quote ]
| Sticking with our KDE theme this week, itâs
| time to learn how to make KDE 4.4 yours.
| Youâve downloaded it, youâve used it, and
| now you want to personalize it. You might
| find things are  a bit different than the
| KDEs of yore (especially if youâre just
| coming into KDE from 3.5). But no matter
| what release youâre coming from, itâs
| always good to know where and how to
| configure the look and feel of your
| desktop.
|
| In this article I am going to show you how
| to make KDE 4.4 look and feel just the way
| you want it to. We wonât bother getting
| into setting up Compiz, this is just
| straight up KDE goodness. Nor will we
| discuss the installation of KDE â I will
| assume that is already complete.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/02/17/personalizing-kde-4-4/

KDE 4.4 Review, Screenshot Tour (and KDE 4.0 Comparison)

,----[ Quote ]
| 21,000 closed bugs later, the KDE team has
| announced the new KDE 4.4 and I simply had
| to take a look. After all, the last time I
| took KDE 4 Series for a spin was back when
| I still thought open source was one word.
| To think I actually praised this thing:
|
| Most of you will remember the flak KDE got
| for releasing an immature desktop
| environment experiment as âgoldâ, and
| rightfully so: even though many Linux
| distributions almost immediately included
| it, nobody could really fit the unstable
| KDE 4.0 into their workflow.
|
| [...]
|
| This review of course depended greatly on
| the quality of the KDE 4.4 integration in
| Fedora 13, so take it with a pinch of salt,
| though Iâm confident you will get pretty
| much the same experience on production
| releases. I recommend you try KDE 4.4 only
| if you have a decently powerful machine, I
| wouldnât run it on a netbook, to be honest,
| it consumes more resources than other
| lighter desktop environments. The KDE guys
| are doing an excellent job and they deserve
| more users, so give v4.4 a try, it might
| just be a keeper!
`----

http://www.internetling.com/2010/02/17/kde-4-4-review-screenshot-tour-and-kde-4-0-comparison/

KDE Review: KDE 4.4 Comes in from the Cold

,----[ Quote ]
| Between radical changes and limited
| functionality, the KDE 4 series got off to
| a rough start. However, with each release,
| KDE 4 has improved steadily and silenced
| more critics. Now, with the KDE 4.4
| release, the series has reached first
| maturity.
|
| Those who expect everything to behave
| exactly as it did in the KDE 3 series may
| still struggle with 4.4. But, for those
| willing to accept change, 4.4 has no
| shortage of new features to offer, ranging
| from the implementation of several long-
| term directions to enhanced usability on
| the desktop -- including Plasma Netbook, a
| new interface designed specifically for
| netbook computers.
|
| [...]
|
| But, by far the greatest desktop innovation
| in KDE 4.4 is one that is also the simplest
| -- the ability to group windows by tabs.
| This feature is implemented by a single
| item added to each window's menu. Yet the
| implications for easing users' workflow is
| immense.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3865126/KDE-Review-KDE-44-Comes-in-from-the-Cold.htm

Five useful KDE 4.4 widgets

,----[ Quote ]
| With the rise of KDE 4.4 comes a new crop
| of desktop widgets (or Plasmoids). Earlier
| renditions of KDE 4.x saw the Plasmoids
| less than useful. The latest workings,
| however, have become quite useful,
| productive even.
|
| In this article I will introduce you to
| five of those Plasmoids that can help your
| productivity in one way or another. I will
| also show you how the Plasmoids are now
| installed.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/02/16/five-useful-kde-4-4-widgets/

Installing KDE 4.4 in Ubuntu, openSUSE, Fedora And ArchLinux

http://techie-buzz.com/linux-tips/install-kde4-4-in-opensuse-ubuntu-fedora-archlinux.html

KDE SC 4.4: A Worthy (though not perfect) Upgrade

http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=1389