[News] Insight Into Linux Kernel Space and Why It's the Future

  • Subject: [News] Insight Into Linux Kernel Space and Why It's the Future
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:25:04 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

More ATI Radeon KMS Power Management Fun

,----[ Quote ]
| Power management support within the Linux
| kernel for the ATI Radeon DRM driver has been
| in development for months and gone through
| several revisions, but with the forthcoming
| Linux 2.6.34 kernel there is initial ATI KMS
| power management support. For making the
| power management situation even better, over
| the weekend Alex Deucher of AMD has been
| working on another set of patches.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODA2Mw

Linus Torvalds- The future of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| In fifteen years, I expect somebody else to
| come along and say, hey, I can do everything
| that Linux can do but I can be lean and mean
| about it because my system won't have twenty
| years of baggage holding it back. They'll say
| Linux was designed for the 386 and the new
| CPUs are doing the really interesting things
| differently. Let's drop this old Linux stuff.
| This is essentially what I did when creating
| Linux. And in the future, they'll be able to
| look at our code, and use our interfaces, and
| provide binary compatibility, and if all that
| happens I'll be happy.
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/03/linus-torvalds-future-of-linux.html

Linux has taken over HPC and is now taking over phones.

Recent:

Web guru Tim Bray takes Google Android job

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20000423-264.html