[News] Android Passes Developers Adoption Milestone, Quest for Free/Libre Ones

  • Subject: [News] Android Passes Developers Adoption Milestone, Quest for Free/Libre Ones
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:34:55 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google Says There Are Now 30,000 Apps In Android Market

,----[ Quote ]
| At the most recent Mobile World Congress,
| Google CEO Eric Schmidt revealed that the
| companyâs partners are now selling over 60,000
| Android handsets on a daily basis. With that
| kind of growth rate, itâs no wonder that the
| size of the Android Market is increasing in
| its slipstream.
`----

http://techcrunch.com/2010/03/16/google-30000-android-market/

Where Are All the Open Source Mobile Apps?

,----[ Quote ]
| Android is great in principle: after all,
| having millions of mobiles running Linux at
| the bottom of the stack is pretty good news.
| But we have a big problem at the top: there
| are very few free software apps, so you are
| almost forced to run closed source code on top
| of the open source Android (ironic or what?).
|
| [...]
|
| While it's great news that the Android
| platform is attracting developers more than
| the iPhone, and far more than Windows Mobile,
| these are still small numbers: 224 new
| projects in a year is pretty footling compared
| to the 30,000 apps that are out there for the
| Android.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2857

Recent:

BlackBerry Users Pine for Android

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent Crowd Science study indicates that
| BlackBerry users have wandering eyes and are
| considering other platforms for their next
| handset.  Roughly 1/3rd of BlackBerry owners
| would switch to an Android phone,
| specifically the Nexus One.  According to
| Crowd Science CEO John Martin, this indicates
| a restlessness with the current brand and
| allure of other platforms.  On the other
| hand, Android users are very loyal to their
| handsets.  Roughly 90% of those surveyed
| planned to stay with green robot-powered
| phones.
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/03/15/blackberry-users-pine-android/

Inventor of Cellphone Dumps IPhone, Embraces Android

,----[ Quote ]
| It turns out that Martin Cooper, the man who
| invented the cell phone, is the proud owner
| of a Motorola Droid!  In a story which aired
| on C-SPAN,  Martin discussed the politics of
| cellphones, as well as his current device.
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/03/15/inventor-cellphone-dumps-iphone-embraces-android/

Report Shows Droid Beats iPhone 1M Benchmark

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/03/16/flurry-compares-nexus-droid-iphone-benchmark/