[News] Free and Openness of Data Seen as Opportunity and Advantage, Not Danger

  • Subject: [News] Free and Openness of Data Seen as Opportunity and Advantage, Not Danger
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:53:28 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

SXSW: Shirkyâs New Opportunities in Public Sharing

,----[ Quote ]
| Today social technology theorist Clay
| Shirky delivered a fitting counterpoint to
| Danah Boydâs keynote on privacy at SXSW the
| day before. Where Boyd spoke of the danger
| of making information more public than
| users intended it, Shirky talked about new
| opportunities for sharing information
| online and elsewhere.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2010/03/14/sxsw-shirkys-new-opportunities-in-public-sharing/

Shirky: Napster tapped into our primate instincts

,----[ Quote ]
| New York University professor Clay Shirky
| thinks he's getting old, or in other words,
| "my average age has been going up at the
| alarming rate of about one year per year."
| Recently, he said, he had to explain
| Napster to a class of his students because
| they were too young to have known much
| about the groundbreaking music-sharing
| service in its heyday.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-20000414-36.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

estimating ullage

,----[ Quote ]
| Ullage, the word for the empty space at the
| top of a wine bottle, is Peter Suber's term
| for the gap between a library's actual
| holdings and its patrons' access needs.
| That's a difficult thing to measure, but I
| might have found a way to estimate it with
| reference not to patron needs but to all
| published journals, as follows.
`----

http://www.sennoma.net/main/archives/2010/03/estimating_ullage.php

Making Public Information Available Online: Rep. Israel Introduces the Public Online Information Act

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, Representative Steve Israel
| introduced the Public Online Information
| Act, which if enacted would free a vast
| treasure trove of government information.
| All too often, information that the law
| requires be publicly available is hidden
| behind stone walls and paper barriers. POIA
| tears down these walls by:
|
|     * Requiring Executive Branch agencies
|     to publish publicly available
|     information on the Internet in a timely
|     fashion and in user-friendly formats.
|     * Creating a multi-branch advisory
|     committee to develop government-wide
|     Internet publication guidelines.
`----

http://blog.sunlightfoundation.com/2010/03/16/making-public-information-available-online-rep-israel-introduces-the-public-online-information-act/

Transparency Is Trending

,----[ Quote ]
| This week is Sunshine Week, a lot of people
| are very excited and are taking the time to
| write about why open government is
| important to them.  Here are just a few of
| the great posts people are writing,
| explaining why transparency is important.
`----

http://blog.sunlightfoundation.com/2010/03/16/transparency-is-trending/

Battle of the Opens

,----[ Quote ]
| So hereâfree, gratis, libre, and openâis a
| brief, simplistic guide to several flavors
| of open, organized around the following
| questions:
|
|     * What is the target of this movement?
|     What is being made open? As compared to
|     what?
|     * What legal regimes are implicated?
|     * How does openness happen? What are
|     the major variants of open works of
|     this type?
`----

http://scienceblogs.com/bookoftrogool/2010/03/battle_of_the_opens.php

Open Sourcing A Disease Diagnosis

,----[ Quote ]
| If you follow Larry Lessig on Twitter, you
| noticed that all day Monday he was putting
| messages on Twitter about how "JZ" was sick
| and was trying to "open source" his
| diagnosis.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100315/2324378575.shtml

Recent:

The open society

,----[ Quote ]
| America is in the lead on data access. On
| his first full day in office Barack Obama
| issued a presidential memorandum ordering
| the heads of federal agencies to make
| available as much information as possible,
| urging them to act âwith a clear
| presumption: in the face of doubt, openness
| prevailsâ. This was all the more remarkable
| since the Bush administration had explicitly
| instructed agencies to do the opposite.
`----

http://www.economist.com/surveys/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15557477&fsrc=rss

Open Access linked to Alabama shooting

,----[ Quote ]
| On 15th February, for instance, The Daily
| Kos pointed out that the International
| Journal of General Medicine charges authors
| to publish their papers. This fact alone,
| The Daily Kos seemed to imply, meant that
| the paper would have been inadequate. But
| there was more.
`----

http://poynder.blogspot.com/2010/02/open-access-linked-to-alabama-shooting.html

Free Our Data response to the DCLG consultation on OS Free

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Our Data campaign was co-founded in
| March 2006 by Charles Arthur and Michael
| Cross with the aim of persuading government
| that non-personal datasets created by
| government-owned agencies and companies and
| organisations should be made available for
| free reuse without licence restrictions.
`----

http://www.freeourdata.org.uk/blog/2010/02/free-our-data-response-to-the-dclg-consultation-on-os-free/

Democracy Club is up and running

,----[ Quote ]
| Democracy Club is up and running. Last week
| meetings were held up and down the country
| organised by volunteers involved with the
| new initiative to bring transparency to
| government. The project is an out-growth of
| TheyWorkForYou and other associated websites
| of MySociety founded by the ever inventive
| Tom Steinberg.
|
| Thanks to the formidable resources it began
| with, with the emails of all those who've
| signed up to those sites on its database,
| Democracy Club already has over 3000
| volunteers spread across 641of 650 of the
| UKâs constituencies.
`----

http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/guy-aitchison/democracy-club-is-up-and-running

European research funders throw weight behind UK open access repository

,----[ Quote ]
| Four European research funders have today
| added their support to the open access
| repository UK PubMed Central (UKPMC) by
| agreeing that the life sciences research
| outputs made possible with their funding are
| made freely available through this
| repository.
`----

http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/News/Media-office/Press-releases/2010/WTX058744.htm

Adventures of an Amateur Cartographer

,----[ Quote ]
| While striding manfully across the streets
| of suburbia this week I've been listened to
| some back issues of FLOSS Weekly that I'd
| previously missed. This excellent podcast by
| Randal Schwartz covers all aspects of Free
| Libre Open Source Software, occasionally
| straying into open source hardware and, in
| the case of the podcast I was listening to,
| open source data.
`----

http://frogplate.net/blog/amateur-cartographer.html

Textbooks That Professors Can Rewrite Digitally

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/22/business/media/22textbook.html?partner=rss&emc=rss