[News] Intellectual Monopolies Craze Wants to Tax Hardware, Harms the Net

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Craze Wants to Tax Hardware, Harms the Net
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 18:16:44 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Charlie Angus Set To Propose Canadian MP3 Player Levy

,----[ Quote ]
| Music industry sources say Canadian Member
| of Parliament Charlie Angus, the NDP's
| digital issues critic, is preparing to
| enter a private member's bill next week
| proposing the country's private copying
| levy should be extended to MP3 players.
| The levy is currently in place on other
| blank media, but attempts to extend it to
| MP3 players have failed in the past. The
| discussion of the levy came at the same
| time Canadian music industry insiders at
| Canadian Music Week were focused on the
| possibility of a new Copyright Act for
| Canada, after support for intellectual
| property was referenced in the Conservative
| government's throne speech last week.

Want To Link To Royal Mail? You Better Not Be In A Hurry

,----[ Quote ]
| If you ever read terms of use pages for
| websites, you know that they are mostly
| boilerplate. Unfortunately whatever
| template all these businesses seem to be
| sharing makes some ridiculous assertions,
| perhaps the worst of which is a provision
| against hyperlinking to the site without
| written permission.

Postal service chief: Our business model as outdated as the newspaper industry's

,----[ Quote ]
| The head of the U.S. Postal Service said
| Thursday that his organization's business
| model is as outdated as the newspaper
| industry's.

Jaron Lanier Says That Musicians Using Free To Succeed Are Lying

,----[ Quote ]
| What a bizarre statement, considering just
| how many real life examples we see every
| day of musicians successfully embracing an
| understanding of basic economics (which
| Lanier apparently lacks). I was trying to
| better understand how Lanier could make
| such an easily debunked statement with a
| straight face, and it's not clear at all.
| It appears that Lanier is the one who is
| pretending here.

In Defense Of 1,000 True Fans - Part VII - Ellis Paul - 300 Fans = $100,000 in Contributions The Ultimate Testament to Fan Loyalty

,----[ Quote ]
| Ellis Paul is an American singer-songwriter
| and folk musician. To date, he has released
| 16 albums and has been the recipient of 14
| Boston Music Awards.  He has published a
| book of original lyrics, poems, and
| drawings, and released a DVD that includes
| a live performance, guitar instruction, and
| a road-trip documentary.  As a touring
| musician, Ellis plays close to 150 dates
| each year and his extensive club and
| coffeehouse touring, together with radio
| airplay, has brought him a solid national
| following.

Heroes Producer: Honored To Be The Most Unauthorized Downloaded Show

,----[ Quote ]
| This talk was given by Tim Kring, creator
| of the popular TV show Heroes, and he made
| some interesting points -- noting that he's
| "honored" that Heroes is the most
| "illegally" downloaded TV show out there,
| because "we'll take audience anywhere we
| can get it." But he's not just sitting
| back.

Dan Bull Recaps How Home Taping Killed Music With His Latest Song

Linking to P2P content declared legal in Spain

,----[ Quote ]
| This is an important and interesting
| ruling. I tend to agree with the linking
| part of the reasoning, but I completely
| disagree with the argument presented by the
| judge with regards to P2P networks. The
| judge uses some paper-thin arguments here
| to imply that P2P networks are not illegal,
| that they are here to stay anyway so what
| is the problem, and that almost nothing
| taking place in those networks can be
| enforced. I would be surprised if SGAE does
| not appeal the ruling.

File-Sharing and Link Sites Declared Legal in Spain

,----[ Quote ]
| After early calls to shut down a Spanish
| file-sharing site were dismissed, music
| group SGAE pinned its hopes on success at
| the full trial. But, the outcome for them
| was nothing short of a disaster. The judge
| declared that both non-commercial file-
| sharing link sites and non-profit use of
| P2P networks are legal in Spain.

Vive Le Rapidshare â Is A New French Revolution Afoot?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now half a year old, a study from the
| University of Rennes researched 2,000 users
| in Brittany about their downloading habits
| before and after Hadopiâs launch. The
| report found that P2P service use fell from
| 17.1 percent to 14.6 percent, but the
| piracy level in general actually went up 3
| percent.

Music fans will sidestep filesharing clampdown says TalkTalk

,----[ Quote ]
| The majority of music fans will switch to
| alternative ways of accessing copyright-
| protected content for free if using peer-
| to-peer (P2P) services leaves them
| vulnerable to disconnection, rendering
| futile the Governmentâs attempts to stop
| copyright infringement.
| Thatâs according to new research from
| TalkTalk, the biggest provider of broadband
| to Britainâs homes.

Spotifies Mean Online Now Filling UKâs CD Royalty Gap

,----[ Quote ]
| One part of the music business has finally
| reached the fabled tipping point at which
| digital income offsets declining physical
| sales.

Two solicitors accused over file-sharing âbully tacticsâ

,----[ Quote ]