[News] Transition to Servers and Devices Makes Desktops an Elusive Target

  • Subject: [News] Transition to Servers and Devices Makes Desktops an Elusive Target
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:45:26 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Cloudy Times

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/opinion/cloudy-times/

Will The Linux Desktop Soon Be Irrelevant?

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of us are still waiting for the year of
| the Linux desktop. Some think itâs already
| here. One thing is certain however, Linux does
| not have a majority desktop market share. By
| the time we get there, perhaps the entire idea
| of what a Desktop is will have been re-
| defined, thanks to âThe Cloudâ.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7733/1.html

If the desktop is dying, mobile sync is king

,----[ Quote ]
| It's this desire for open clouds and open
| syncing to those clouds that is blessing
| Funambol's open-source mobile sync business.
| It's the same desire that will likely create a
| host of new competitors in this fertile mobile-sync market.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10468655-16.html

Recent:

Smartbooks to reach 165 million units in 2015, says study

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/ABI-Research-smartbook-study/?kc=rss