[News] GNOME Wants Census, Nautilus Has Place for Improvement

  • Subject: [News] GNOME Wants Census, Nautilus Has Place for Improvement
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:15:39 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The GNOME Census project

,----[ Quote ]
| We will be launching a survey this week
| asking GNOME developers who they work for,
| and whether they have worked for other
| companies previously â because of the
| widespread use of gnome.org email addresses
| in GNOME, unfortunately it has not always
| been easy to identify companies behind the
| people. We also want qualitative
| information on projects you work on,
| whether you work on GNOME in your free
| time, and more. We are be breaking down
| GNOME development by core platform,
| external dependencies, GNOME desktop, GNOME
| hosted applications and other GNOME
| applications. Vanessa will be sending out a
| very short survey to everyone who has
| committed to GNOME, and we need your help
| to make the census as useful as possible to
| the GNOME project.
`----

http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2010/03/17/the-gnome-census-project/

Deconstructing Nautilus and rebuilding it better

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, if you follow the active development
| of GNOME as much as I do, you may have
| heard of two recent technologies actively
| being developed. They are Zeitgeist and the
| GNOME Activity Journal. What are they?
| Well, Zeitgeist is a little, unobtrusive
| daemon that ticks quietly away in the
| background and records every file you
| access, every image you edit, essentially
| every event you perform on your computer
| and keeps a chronological Journal of this
| information for other applications to use.
| This is the core engine that runs quietly
| in the background. The frontend to this is
| the GNOME Activity Journal â an application
| that allows you to browse and search
| through Zeitgeistâs recordings of your
| activities and interact with that
| information. One of the developers of the
| GNOME Activity Journal posted a very handy
| video showing it in action. I use it myself
| and it is very handy. I also use Docky2 on
| my desktop that has Zeitgeist interaction.
| One of the options when you right-click on
| a launcher in Docky2 is the Journal entry,
| that allows you to browse through recent
| events and files accessed in that
| particular application. A stroke of genius.
| Again hereâs a handy little video
| demonstrating Docky2 with Zeitgeist
| integration.
`----

http://www.design-by-izo.com/2010/02/27/deconstructing-nautilus-and-rebuilding-it-better/

Recent:

GNOME and Project:Possibility: collaboration in open source accessibility

,----[ Quote ]
| Project:Possibility organise team coding
| competitions for computer science students.
| The the goal of these SS12 events is to
| create accessibility software that will be
| of benefit to real users. These weekend
| âcode-a-thonsâ bring the students together
| with a mentor from industry and provide an
| exciting chance to learn something about
| accessibility, while creating open source
| software. Thus students get exposure to
| topics and skills that are still sadly
| absent from many computer science courses.
| Plus they get to have fun and win prizes.
`----

http://osswatch.jiscinvolve.org/2010/03/14/gnome-and-projectpossibility-collaboration-in-opensource-accessibility/

GNOME Foundation Charter: Iâve read it. Have you?

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/12/split-view-nautilus-becoming-official.html
|     continues. GNOME will include only Free
|     software.
|
| From the GNOME Foundation Charter.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/03/gnome-foundation-charter-ive-read-it-have-you/

Nautilus With Zeitgeist Integration Already Functional [How-to]

,----[ Quote ]
| To use it you can either patch Nautilus or
| just have a new bookmark in Nautilus. If you
| are not very confortable with compiling
| software from source, I suggest you skip to
| the "For both with and without the Nautilus
| patch (start from here to install it without
| the Nautilus patch!)" part.
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/nautilus-with-zeitgeist-integration_05.html

Nautilus Just Got Gorgeous