[News] Many More Devices Run Linux or Support Linux

  • Subject: [News] Many More Devices Run Linux or Support Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:47:24 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Networking appliance taps Freescale's QorIQ processor

,----[ Quote ]
| The CAK-2000 supports Linux, and is
| available with an optional copy of
| Freescale's Vortiqa, a Linux-based software
| development platform for optimizing
| firewall, IPSec-VPN, IPS, anti-virus, and
| anti-spam software for multi-core QorIQ and
| PowerQUICC SoCs. The network appliance is
| said to comply with FCC/CE, UL, and
| RoHS/WEEE.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Portwell-CAK2000/?kc=rss

Conceptronic Grab'n'go CH3MNAS early review: Compact home for your data

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're a really hardcore techie, you'll
| be able to use the 'Fun Plug' system to
| install apps on your NAS to add
| functionality. Be warned though, this isn't
| a beginner feature and requires at least
| some technical understanding of Linux.
`----

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/accessories/0,39101000,49305290,00.htm

Configurable RISC controller offers Linux-ready MMU

,----[ Quote ]
| Standard controllers for dataplane
| applications, including one Linux-optimized
| model. Based on Tensilica's configurable,
| 32-bit RISC "Xtensa" architecture, the five
| upward-compatible processor cores include a
| Diamond Standard 233L processor with a
| Linux-optimized MMU, and are claimed to be
| 15 percent faster and more power efficient
| than earlier models.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Tensilica-Diamond-Standard-233L-/?kc=rss

ATCA blade cranks it up with six-core Xeon

,----[ Quote ]
| GE Intelligent Platforms announced a Linux-
| ready AdvancedTCA single board computer
| with an option for Intel's new Xeon 5600
| processors. The dual-Xeon A10200 offers up
| to six cores clocked to 2GHz, plus 12MB of
| L3 cache per CPU, and offers dual 10
| gigabit Ethernet interfaces and four
| gigabit Ethernet interfaces, says the
| company.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/GE-Intelligent-Platforms-A10200/?kc=rss

Recent:

Exploring Embedded Linux with Xport Pro

,----[ Quote ]
| This past year I've had the good fortune to
| review an eeePC powered Netbook, the Fit-PC,
| and the Plug Computer. All were new, capable,
| and progressively smaller Linux machines.
| Readers may also recall my increasing interest
| in the Arduino micro-controllers. Although the
| Arduino doesn't run Linux, its development
| environment is easy to use and particularly
| well suited for Linux notebooks.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/embedded-mobile/mobile-linux/277540:xport-pro-adventures-linux-version

Atom-based energy monitoring device taps Moblin

,----[ Quote ]
| At CES, OpenPeak unveiled a prototype of its
| Intel Atom- and Moblin Linux-based Home Energy
| Manager (HEM) energy monitoring device, and
| announced partnerships with Direct Energy and
| GE. OpenPeak also announced that the OpenFrame
| IP phone upon which the HEM is based was
| certified with the ZigBee Alliance's Smart
| Energy Certification.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/OpenPeak-Home-Energy-Manager-OpenFrame-7/?kc=rss

The Embedded Market Beds Down with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/11/embedded-market-beds-down-with-linux.html