[News] Free CMS Software Defended and Praised (Area of Free Software Success Stories)

  • Subject: [News] Free CMS Software Defended and Praised (Area of Free Software Success Stories)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 13:23:14 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

WordPress: A Web Developer's Tutorial

,----[ Quote ]
| I chose WordPress as my general-purpose
| framework, even though it's theoretically a
| blogging platform, for a number of reasons.
| First of all, it's backed by a company, yet
| still has a large number of independent
| contributors. This is probably the best way
| of keeping code up to date and viable
| commercially, while still using the Open
| Source model. New features, bug fixes, and
| security patches are thus released
| relatively often, and it doesn't hurt that
| you can now update WordPress with a single
| click. Secondly, there are a phenomenal
| number of freely available, high quality
| themes and plugins that allow you to easily
| customize not only the look and feel, but
| also the functionality of your WordPress
| site. Finally, the total interoperability
| of WordPress with other platforms is second
| to none, so your site will be able to
| handle everything from Google Maps to SEO
| to AdSense to iPhone capability from day
| one. Don't believe it? That's why I'm here
| to teach you how to do it all.
`----

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/webmaster/projects/article.php/3870531

Matt Mullenweg, WordPress founder: Why it pays to stay faithful to open source

,----[ Quote ]
| As an open source project, WordPress is
| licensed under the General Public License
| (GPL). The code for WordPress is created
| both by Automattic developers as well as a
| community of hundreds of third-party
| developers. The open source nature of the
| product means it can be used by anyone and
| for anything without paying a licence fee.
`----

http://www.silicon.com/technology/software/2010/02/15/matt-mullenweg-wordpress-founder-why-it-pays-to-stay-faithful-to-open-source-39745426/

Worldly wealth

,----[ Quote ]
| A little later Matt Mullenweg took to the
| stage. Matt is the charismatic and high-
| profile founder of Automattic Inc and
| WordPress, the worldâs most successful
| open-source blogging software, powering
| over 200 million websites.
|
| He chatted intimately with the audience
| about the founding of his company and the
| driving philosophies behind its success. He
| also shared his views on the future of
| blogging and open-source software
| development. One interesting story was that
| he founded Automattic with three other
| people from around the world, including
| another Irish developer. These four people
| had never met physically but knew each
| other via their web-based interactions.
| This created enough of a bond for them to
| start a company together, one that has been
| very successful.
`----

http://www.mandadeals.co.uk/the-magazine/cover-stories/1206363/worldly-wealth.thtml

Open Source Delivers Enterprise-Class Website on Shoestring Budget

,----[ Quote ]
| We also use open source throughout our
| production and testing environments. The
| Verical Marketplace is deployed on servers
| running the Linux operating system. This
| open source operating system is of high-
| quality and performs better than most of
| the operating systems available for
| purchase. In addition, we were able to use
| commodity hardware that further reduces our
| cost of deployment. Testing is aided using
| open source products including JUnit and
| Apache JMeter.
`----

http://advice.cio.com/josefruef/open_source_delivers_enterprise_class_website_on_shoestring_budget

Hosted Drupal CMS Planned for Midyear

,----[ Quote ]
| The service, called Drupal Gardens, is in
| beta testing now with a "couple of
| thousand" users, said Dries Buytaert, who created
| Drupal and cofounded Acquia to build a
| commercial business around it. The service
| will be based on Drupal 7, an upgrade to
| the CMS software that will be released at
| about the same time, Buytaert said at the
| Open Source Business Conference in San
| Francisco on Wednesday.
|
| Drupal is a software platform for
| publishing Web sites and managing text,
| images and other content on those sites. It
| has been used by individuals to publish
| blogs and by larger organizations,
| including the White House and NASA, to run
| their Web sites.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/191817/hosted_drupal_cms_planned_for_midyear.html

Recent: