[News] Making GNU/Linux Highly Secure (Physically Too)

  • Subject: [News] Making GNU/Linux Highly Secure (Physically Too)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 03:37:14 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Designing a Secure Linux System

,----[ Quote ]
| Bruce Schneierâs blog post about the Mariposa
| Botnet has an interesting discussion in the
| comments about how to make a secure system
| [1]. Note that the threat is considered to be
| remote attackers, that means viruses and
| trojan horses â which includes infected files
| run from USB devices (IE you arenât safe just
| because you arenât on the Internet). The
| threat we are considering is not people who
| can replace hardware in the computer (people
| who have physical access to it which includes
| people who have access to where it is located
| or who are employed to repair it). This is
| the most common case, the risk involved in
| stealing a typical PC is far greater than the
| whatever benefit might be obtained from the
| data on it â a typical computer user is at
| risk of theft only for the resale value of a
| second-hand computer.
`----

http://etbe.coker.com.au/2010/03/08/designing-secure-linux/

2010 CWE/SANS Top 25 Most Dangerous Programming Errors

,----[ Quote ]
| The 2010 CWE/SANS Top 25 Most Dangerous
| Programming Errors is a list of the most
| widespread and critical programming errors
| that can lead to serious software
| vulnerabilities. They are often easy to find,
| and easy to exploit. They are dangerous
| because they will frequently allow attackers
| to completely take over the software, steal
| data, or prevent the software from working at
| all.
`----

http://cwe.mitre.org/top25/

Recent:

Microsoft Virtual PC Flaw Lets Hackers Bypass Windows Defenses

,----[ Quote ]
| An exploit writer at Core Security
| Technologies has discovered a serious
| vulnerability that exposes users of
| Microsoftâs Virtual PC virtualization
| software to malicious hacker attacks.
`----

http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/microsoft-virtual-pc-flaw-lets-hackers-bypass-windows-defenses-031610

One-third of Security Essentials users infected: Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/28745/53/