[News] New Application for GNU/Linux Released, Some Surveyed

  • Subject: [News] New Application for GNU/Linux Released, Some Surveyed
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 03:40:55 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

winetricks 20100316 released

http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/winetricks/winetricks-20100316-released.html

IO Profiling of Applications: MPI Apps

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7728/1.html

TerminalRun Firefox Addon Allows You To Run Shell Commands From Websites Via Right Click [Linux]

,----[ Quote ]
| TerminalRun and FoxRunner are two similar
| Firefox extensions for running a command from
| a website in a terminal. Because FoxRunner
| didn't work for me (but it seems to be
| working for most people so you can try it if
| you want), I'll review TerminalRun.
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/terminalrun-firefox-addon-allows-you-to.html

Shotwell 0.5 (Gnome Photo Manager) Has Been Released

,----[ Quote ]
| That makes Shotwell the only Gnome photo
| manager which supports exporting photos to
| all of the 3 services: PicasaWeb, Flickr and
| Facebook.
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/shotwell-05-gnome-photo-manager-has.html

Applications and bundled libraries

,----[ Quote ]
| Package installation for Linux distributions
| has traditionally separated libraries and
| application binaries into different packages,
| so that only one version of a library would
| be installed and it would be shared by
| applications that use it. Other operating
| systems (e.g. Windows, MacOS X) often bundle
| a particular version of a library with each
| application, which can lead to many copies
| and versions of the same library co-existing
| on the system. While each model has its
| advocates, the Linux method is seen by many
| as superior because a security fix in a
| particular commonly-used library doesn't
| require updating multiple different
| applicationsânot to mention the space
| savings. But, it would seem that both Mozilla
| and Google may be causing distributions to
| switch to library-bundling mode in order to
| support the Firefox and Chromium web
| browsers.
`----

https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/378865/acc8534cb3b0781d/

Claws Mail: Mail with Attitude

,----[ Quote ]
| Want to take full control of your email?
| Tired of the limitations of Webmail, or GUI
| clients that are designed for users who only
| get a handful of emails every day. Itâs time
| to bring out the heavy guns and start using
| Claws.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7727/1.html

Psi Is A Feature-Rich Jabber Instant Messaging Client For Windows, Linux And Mac OS X

,----[ Quote ]
| Jabber, also known as XMPP, is used by Google
| Talk, LiveJournal, Portugal Telecom and
| Facebook also recently allows you to chat
| using XMPP.
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/psi-is-feature-rich-jabber-instant.html

Snap Spiffy Linux Screenshots with Shutter

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/7012/1/