[News] Microsoft's Patent Troll Myhrvold Allegedly Friends with Father of Patent Trolling and Attacks Companies

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft's Patent Troll Myhrvold Allegedly Friends with Father of Patent Trolling and Attacks Companies
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 09:37:59 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Kodak Says Intellectual Ventures Behind Patent Lawsuit Filed By Shell Company

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems that at least one company sued over
| such a patent is hitting back. Joe Mullin
| points us to the Legal Pad blog, which notes
| that Kodak, who has been sued for patent
| infringement by a shell company (PFI) being
| represented by Ray Niro (famous for, among
| other things, being the first person labeled
| a "patent troll," as well as suing a bunch of
| companies he didn't like with a bogus patent
| -- finally rejected for good, recently --
| that he claimed covered any website that used
| a JPEG image), doesn't believe that it's
| really the shell company that's behind this
| lawsuit. It's demanding that Intellectual
| Ventures take part...
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100310/0302518496.shtml

Will Patent Holder IV Show Its Face to Kodak?

,----[ Quote ]
| Kodak is trying to draw large patent hoarder
| Intellectual Ventures into court.
|
| With its 30,000 patents and opaque veil of
| mystery, IV has shied away from the courts,
| likely because an allergy to discovery. But
| with its new money making scheme of selling
| patents to trolls who then file lawsuits
| (free reg. req.), you knew that IV would
| eventually end up in a courtroom.
|
| Here are the basics on the Kodak case:
|
| 1. IV sold patent to shell company named
| Picture Frame Innovations.
|
| 2. Picture Frame, represented by Ray âthe
| original patent trollâ Niro, sued Kodak for
| patent infringement.
|
| 3. IV co-founder Peter Detkin told me last
| year that IV is now cutting deals where it
| sells patents and takes a cut of any money
| made by filing lawsuits (free reg. req.). So
| it seemed like IV might have struck such a
| deal with Picture Frame and Niro.
`----

http://legalpad.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/03/will-patent-holder-iv-show-its-face-to-kodak.html

Recent: