[News] List of Proprietary Applications That Could Boost GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] List of Proprietary Applications That Could Boost GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 07:40:02 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

10 Windows applications that should be ported to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I canât tell you how many emails, phone
| calls, IMs, and Facebook messages Iâve gotten
| that asked when or if an application would be
| ported from Windows to Linux. Or how many
| times Iâve heard someone say, âI would use
| Linux, if X were ported to it!â So I decided
| to put these wishes to good use and list the
| top applications that should be ported to
| Linux. Some could be possible. Some are not
| (for whatever reason), which is a shame
| because the ânot possibleâ tends to keep
| people from adopting Linux.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=1412

How Nexuiz did not become proprietary or: "Silly names in Games"

,----[ Quote ]
| Some company will use LordHavoc's DarkPlaces
| engine (DPE) to publish a game on some game
| console(s). The development team includes "a
| number of Nexuiz developers, and previous
| Quake1 community developers". Nexuiz is a (or
| rather "the") FOSS FPS that uses DPE.
|
| As far as I can tell, no assets of Nexuiz
| will be used. On the other hand, the
| soundtrack playing on the console-DPE-game
| homepage sounds like a remix of a Nexuiz
| track. I will just assume that the composer
| agreed to this and that the same might happen
| to other high-quality Nexuiz content and that
| it will all be legal. Lee Vermeulen (Nexuiz'
| lead developer) is no license-n00b after all.
| Also, the console game will be using Nexuiz'
| gameplay, which I assume means "game modes",
| "movement/physics" and "weapon
| functions/balancing".
`----

http://freegamer.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-nexuiz-did-not-become-proprietary.html

Recent:

State Of Application Security: Nearly 60 Percent Of Apps Fail First Security Test

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.darkreading.com/vulnerability_management/security/app-security/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=223100875