[News] [Rival] Windows Mobile Applications Only Ever Rented

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Windows Mobile Applications Only Ever Rented
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 08:38:47 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

"RT @timanderson Win phone 7 marketplace can automatically revoke apps -
delete them from your device!"

http://twitter.com/glynmoody/statuses/10629327812

Recent:

It's official: Existing Windows Mobile apps won't run on Windows Phone 7

,----[ Quote ]
| The rumors about Microsoft totally cutting
| the compatibility cord with Windows Phone
| 7 were true.
|
| Charlie Kindel, Microsoft Partner Group
| Program Manager for the Windows Phone
| Application Platform & Developer
| Experience, in a March 4 blog post,
| acknowledged that existing Windows Mobile
| apps wonât be able to run on Windows Phone
| 7 devices.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=5498

Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 smart phones won't be reverse compatible

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-microsoft-mobile6-2010mar06,0,7431046.story

Microsoft: New Windows 7 phones won't run older programs

,----[ Quote ]
| Emphasizing its departure from its
| previous generation of mobile devices,
| Microsoft Corp. on Thursday said its new
| Windows Phone 7 Series devices won't run
| programs from older versions of Windows-
| based phones.
`----

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/03/microsoft-new-windows-phones-wont-run-older-programs.html

Microsoft to launch incompatible telephone

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/05/microsoft_pink/

Microsoft News - Microsoft: No Old Apps for New Windows Phones

http://microsoft-news.tmcnet.com/microsoft/articles/77762-microsoft-no-old-apps-new-windows-phones.htm

Microsoft Says New Windows Phones Won't Run Current Apps

http://www.mobiledia.com/news/71452.html

Is Microsoft already stumbling with Windows Phone 7?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoftâs current mobile OS, Windows
| Mobile 6.5 â hardly a critical darling â
| will soldier on until the release of the
| new OS. And, as analyst Carl D. Howe said
| to Fortuneâs tech blog, "Microsoft just
| took a gun and pointed it at the head of
| Windows 6.5 and said, âDonât buy thisâ."
`----

http://job-news.odesk.com/technology-platform-news/is-microsoft-already-stumbling-with-windows-phone-7-675

Microsoft's do-or-die Windows Mobile 7 gambit

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft just took a gun and pointed it
| at the head of Windows 6.5 and said,
| 'Don't buy this'," says Yankee Group
| analyst Carl D. Howe. "If I were HTC or
| one of their other handset customers, I'd
| be pretty mad."
`----

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2010/03/03/microsofts-do-or-die-windows-mobile-7-gambit/?section=magazines_fortune

No upgrades to Windows Phone 7

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10015240o-2000675210b,00.htm

Recent:

CHARTS OF THE WEEK: The Collapse Of Microsoft's Mobile Business

http://www.businessinsider.com/charts-of-the-week-the-collapse-of-microsofts-mobile-business-2010-2#yahoo-still-king-of-display-advertising-1

Dear Microsoft: Please Give Up on Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| Dear Steve Ballmer, I believe it's time to
| give up development of a mobile operating
| system. With all due respect to the multi-
| billion dollar empire you're entrusted
| with running, the simple truth is that
| Microsoft is quite bad at developing user
| interfaces that are friendly and
| intuitive. Windows 7 is an improvement,
| but you're far from being out of the
| woods. What's more, it appears that your
| guidance, Mr. Ballmer, might be making the
| problem worse, especially if the things
| you said recently about your instructions
| to Windows Phone developers were true.
`----

http://www.daniweb.com/news/story262056.html

Skype drops its Windows Mobile app

,----[ Quote ]
| Ok, ok. Don't freak out--it looks like
| this is just a step towards supporting the
| new Microsoft mobile operating system and
| not a move showing Skype is quiting MS-
| based phones altogether. Skype has pulled
| their app for Window Mobile, meaning new
| users will not be able to download it.
| Users with the software already installed
| will still be able to use it. According to
| GigaOm, it appears the reasons are that
| the software never quite achieved the best
| possible consistent user experience and
| Skype has grown tired of supporting it
| when they could be focusing on making a
| killer app for the Windows Phone 7
| operating system.
`----

http://www.fiercevoip.com/story/skype-drops-its-windows-mobile-app/2010-02-25

Skype delivers blow to WinMo

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2010/02/skype_delivers_blow_to_winmo.html

Skype Pulls Windows Mobile Apps; No Word of Return

http://www.pcworld.com/article/190276/skype_pulls_out_of_mobile_apps_no_word_of_return.html?tk=rss_news

Developers, save us from the Microsoft undead

,----[ Quote ]
| More software developers should follow the
| lead of Adobe and Skype, which have
| abandoned Windows Mobile -- what Microsoft
| now calls Windows Phone Classic.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/article/Developers-save-us-from-the-Microsoft-undead/1267213434

Are you kidding me Microsoft? Why confuse with Windows Phone Starter Edition?

,----[ Quote ]
| Doesnât Microsoft think there is enough
| confusion with Starter Edition in Windows?
| Why bring this to the smartphone world
| where you need to get out a simple and
| memorable brand and experience to the
| consumer? What about the Classic Edition
| we heard about, is that for real too?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/?p=3185

Microsoft is charging Windows Mobile developers indefinitely more than Apple and Google

,----[ Quote ]
| Can you believe that? Market share of Windows
| Mobile is sinking like Titanic, and
| competitors have tens of thousands of apps
| (compared to less than one thousand in Windows
| Mobile app store), plenty of which are not
| available at all (!) for Windows Mobile, and
| what is Microsoft doing?
|
| Microsoft is charging Windows Mobile
| developers indefinitely more than Apple and
| Google as you can see in this comparison...
`----

http://mobile.msmobiles.com/news.php?id=8939

Microsoft plays down Windows Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| It isn't the first time that Microsoft has
| missed the boat - it was also a late starter
| in the Internet game - but the company has all
| but dropped the ball with its Windows Mobile
| operating system.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Cellular/11358.html

Microsoft to discontinue Mobile2Market program

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft will discontinue Mobile2Market, its
| mobile application certification and
| marketing program for independent software
| and hardware vendors.
`----

http://www.fiercedeveloper.com/story/microsoft-discontinue-mobile2market-program/2010-01-18

Microsoft Struggles to Extend Desktop Dominance to Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2010/01/133_58798.html