[News] New Success Stories for GNU/Linux on Laptops (Compaq, HP, ZaReason)

  • Subject: [News] New Success Stories for GNU/Linux on Laptops (Compaq, HP, ZaReason)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 20:32:55 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Time for a Linux laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| 5. My budget is $1400
|
| What? That low a budget for a new, and
| surprisingly beefy laptop? Sure! Why not? I
| know this is doable. Granted, it isnât
| doable with a vendor like Emperor Linux â
| as a matter of fact it flatly rules them
| completely out â but it leaves in plenty of
| other options for me.
`----

http://linuxcritic.wordpress.com/2010/03/27/time-for-a-linux-laptop/

Mandriva 2010.0 on a Dell Latitude XT

,----[ Quote ]
| Sound works out-of-the-box and so did
| Compiz desktop effects (once enabled) which
| is better than I expected for this weak of
| a CPU and GPU configuration in this
| machine.
|
| This is not meant to be a review for
| Mandriva 2010.0, rather some comments
| regarding Mandriva 2010.0 being installed
| on a Dell Latitude XT notebook giving
| insight on what works natively and what
| doesn't. I'm impressed with KDE4 and the
| Mandriva distribution, but I'll save that
| talk for another post.
`----

http://swintlinux.blogspot.com/2010/03/mandriva-20100-on-dell-latitude-xt.html

ZaReason Teo - netbook with installed Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Company ZaReason introduced 10-inch netbook
| called Teo. The model possesses quite
| standard for devices of its class
| characteristics. It is equipped with 10-
| inch screen with a resolution of 1024x600
| pixels and is based on Intel Atom N450
| processor with a clock speed of 1.66 GHz.
| Also "on board" ZaReason Teo - Integrated
| Intel GMA 3150 graphics, 2 GB of RAM and
| hard disk 160 GB (it is worth noting that
| the amount of memory larger than normal for
| netbooks 1 GB). Communication possibilities
| Teo presented 10/100 Ethernet and Wi-Fi
| 802.11 b / g / n.
`----

http://it-chuiko.com/computers/3002-zareason-teo-netbook-with-installed-ubuntu.html

Penguins converge on Austin Texas

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's see ... Softlayer, Zenoss, Canonical,
| Red Hat, Fedora, HP, IBM, Rackspace,
| Novell, and The Linux Fund are our
| commercial sponsors.  Most of them had
| people submit session proposals, which was
| nice (and by that I mean they submitted
| talks independently of (usually before)
| being sponsors.  We've also had several
| nonprofits lend us support in one way or
| another, like GNOME, Mozilla, the Linux
| Foundation.  And the media sponsors have
| done a terrific job just helping us get the
| word out, which is vitally important when
| you're an event that no one has heard of
| before.  That includes the Linux Journal
| (which is based out of Houston), LWN, Linux
| Magazine and Ubuntu User, LXer.  They've
| not only allowed us to advertise, but have
| run our announcements and written blog
| entries to help spread the word.
`----

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2010/03/penguins-converge-on-austin-texas.html

ZaReason Teo

,----[ Quote ]
| The ZaReason Teo, that I just discovered on
| Amazon.com, looks like the successor of the
| Terra A20, which was the first netbook by
| ZaReason, who build laptops, desktops, and
| servers running Ubuntu Linux or
| derivatives.
`----

http://www.linux-netbook.com/zareason-teo

ZaReason Teo: Pine Trail netbook with an Ubuntu Linux twist

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux system builder ZaReason appears to
| have launched a new Linux netbook. While
| thereâs no information about the new Teo
| netbook on the ZaReason web site, you can
| already order one from Amazon for $460.
|
| The Teo bears a more than passing
| resemblance to the original MSI Wind U100
| 10 inch netbook, and I wouldnât be
| surprised if ZaReason was working with MSI
| to supply the chassis and possibly some
| other components. Spec-wise, the netbook
| has a 10 inch. 1024 x 600 non-glare
| display, a 1.66GHz Intel Atom N450 Pine
| Trail processor and 160GB hard drive.Amazon
| says it should get 8 hours of battery life.
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2010/03/zareason-teo-pine-trail-netbook-with-an-ubuntu-linux-twist.html

Compaq Presario 2175us Ubuntu Graphics Driver

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://laptopsplanet.com/compaq-presario-2175us-ubuntu-graphics-driver/