[News] GNU/Linux Remains Untouchable in World's Biggest Computers

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Remains Untouchable in World's Biggest Computers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 21:00:36 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux Wins Again for HPC

,----[ Quote ]
| The National Center for Supercomputing
| Applications (NCSA) has announced that the
| much anticipated Blue Waters supercomputer
| will be using Linux as its operating
| system.
`----

http://www.genomeweb.com/blog/linux-wins-again-hpc

Supporting The HPC Hero

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, this being Linux Magazine, Iâm
| not going to spend much time discussing
| Microsoftâs HPC value proposition, but
| there are real reasons why Windows, and Mac
| OS X for that matter, donât have a big
| foothold in HPC. I covered this five years
| ago when I wrote Why Linux On Clusters? and
| what was true then is true today. Iâll save
| you the detailed reading. Clusters are
| about building machines around problem
| sets. To achieve an efficient design you
| need flexibility and choice. Open source
| and the Linux OS provide the best
| flexibility an choice.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7739

Rendering âHappy Feet 2â at 30kW a Rack

,----[ Quote ]
| In the sequel to âHappy Feet,â the Penguins
| will be the same size. But the data center
| will be much smaller. The digital
| production company Dr. D Studios has packed
| a large amount of supercomputing power into
| a smaller package in its new rendering
| facility in Sydney, Australia.
`----

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2010/03/25/rendering-happy-feet-2-at-30kw-a-rack/

Recent:

Open Source, Preferred by 9 Out of 10 Supercomputers

,----[ Quote ]
| Saw an interesting article today that out
| of the top 10 supercomputers in the world,
| 9 of them are running some variant of
| Linux. On top of this a whopping 85% of the
| Top 500 supercomputers in the world run
| some form of the open source OS too.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/58612

3D Avatar - Linux Supercomputer - Of Course

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10014850o-2000673651b,00.htm

`----