[News] Linux Kernel Space Gets Deduplication, Many Other Things

  • Subject: [News] Linux Kernel Space Gets Deduplication, Many Other Things
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 21:06:52 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open source deduplication software released for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| A new open source project, dubbed
| Opendedup, has appeared with the goal of
| creating a deduplication-based file system
| for Linux called SDFS.
|
| The projectâs developer Sam Silverberg says
| todayâs deduplication solutions only solve
| the problem of storing deduplicated data,
| not reading and writing inline data.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/340870/open_source_deduplication_software_released_linux/

A critical look at sysfs attribute values

http://lwn.net/Articles/378884/

Now Hear This

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, because Iâve given you this tip,
| youâll probably never need to use it.
| Still, itâs good to know USB audio is very
| supported under Linux, and the devices are
| fairly standard. Plus, itâs easy to add
| multiple audio devices with USB audio,
| which makes things like podcasting much
| easier!
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/now-hear

SystemTap 1.2 released

,----[ Quote ]
| The systemtap team announces release 1.2.
|
|   prototype perf event and hw-breakpoint
|   probing, security fixes, error tolerance
|   script language extensions,
|   optimizations, tapsets, interesting new
|   sample scripts, kernel versions 2.6.9
|   through 2.6.34-rc
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/379866/

Masen Marshall, the Ultimate Linux Guru, has a special laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Masen Marshall, pictured above, is not your
| ordinary Linux user. No, heâs the Ultimate
| Linux Guru, a title bestowed upon him by
| his significant contributions to the
| Linux.com user community. Heâs seen here
| holding a laptop signed by Linux creator
| Linus Torvalds.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/03/23/masen-marshall-the-ultimate-linux-guru-has-a-special-laptop/

Congratulations to the First Ever Linux.com Gurus!

,----[ Quote ]
| Today we are announcing the 2010 Linux.com
| Linux Gurus and want to thank them and the
| rest of the Linux.com community for their
| important contributions to the site.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/featured-blogs/185-jennifer-cloer/295350-congratulations-to-the-first-ever-linuxcom-gurus-

Studying kernel bugs