[News] Loads of Encouraging News for GNU/Linux Gamers

  • Subject: [News] Loads of Encouraging News for GNU/Linux Gamers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 21:56:45 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Nexuiz v2.5.2 Free

,----[ Quote ]
| The first version was released May 31st
| 2005, released entirely GPL and free over
| the net, a first for a project of its kind.
| Since then it has been downloaded over 1.5
| million times, and the game is still being
| updated and developed, currently at version
| 2.5 and new releases being developed.
`----

http://www.techtree.com/India/Downloads/Nexuiz_v252_Free/551-110198-657.html

Stop Wine-ing: 15 Games for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Many believe that Wine and other Windows
| emulation solutions may be their only
| recourse for high-quality gaming enjoyment.
| That, however, it not entirely true. There
| are plenty of smaller, independent gaming
| houses developing and releasing premium
| commercial games for Linux alongside Mac
| and Windows offerings. Search hard enough
| and youâll find games ranging from low-
| resource puzzle solvers to 3D first-person
| shooters.
|
| Letâs have a look at some of the games
| recently released for Linux and a few up-
| and-coming prospects for the future. Stop
| Wine-ing. Start playing.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7745/1.html

Is it Possible to Play Games When Running Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Any game that is based on the browser alone
| will work fine in Linux. For browser based
| games like Farmville, these will all work
| in browsers as long as there are the Flash
| and Java plugins. These work the same in
| Linux as on any other operating system.
|
| The second type of gaming is open source
| games. There are quite a few free games
| that are made for Linux as well as other
| operating systems. Since these are open
| source, itâs easy for programmers to port
| various versions of the game for the
| different operating system choices that
| exist.
`----

http://www.booshnews.com/2010/03/28/is-it-possible-to-play-games-when-running-linux/

Space Exploration: Serpens Sector Development Preview 10 Released/Screens #3

,----[ Quote ]
| Metal Beetle has released a new development
| preview version of Space Exploration:
| Serpens Sector, a role-playing game based
| on classics like Starflight and Star
| Control.
`----

http://www.gamershell.com/news_93188.html

Unigine Heaven 2.0 Launches For Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Unigine Heaven has finally arrived! Unigine
| Heaven, a tech demo / benchmark that offers
| heavenly graphics and was released for
| Windows 7 back in October with a DirectX 11
| renderer, is now available on Linux with
| its OpenGL 3.2 renderer. As we suspected,
| the Linux support has arrived with the
| release of Unigine Heaven 2.0, which
| includes an updated Windows binary as well.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODA5NA

If sudoku has you puzzled, turn to HoDoKu

,----[ Quote ]
| Hobiger elaborates: âOver the years sudoku
| players have developed a large array of
| techniques to exclude possible candidates
| from cells. HoDoKu supports more than 90
| techniques, more than any other software I
| know. You can search for all implemented
| techniques at any given state during
| solving and display them graphically.
`----

http://sourceforge.net/blog/if-sudoku-has-you-puzzled-turn-to-hodoku/

Achron Alpha Build Now For GNU/Linux 64-Bit !

,----[ Quote ]
| Two days ago they released a new build
| (0.2.2.0) that now has an experimental
| support for GNU/Linux 64-bit !
`----

http://lgn.linux-hardcore.com/achron-alpha-build-now-for-gnulinux-64-bit/

Hacker Evolution: Untold Now Available For GNU/Linux !

,----[ Quote ]
| Announcing Hacker Evolution: Untold for
| Linux, a new hacking simulation game from
| exosyphen studios
`----

http://lgn.linux-hardcore.com/hacker-evolution-untold-now-available-for-gnulinux/

Quake 2 on netbook with custom resolution, finally!

,----[ Quote ]
| Been trying to solve this one for ages -
| get Quake 2 to run at a custom resolution
| of 1024 x 600 on my Ubuntu Linux Netbook.
`----

http://www.altfire.com/main/news/index.php?news_id=452

Nexuiz Gets Forked, Turned Into Xonotic

,----[ Quote ]
| Xonotic is this new project that is a fork
| of Nexuiz and takes away some of the main
| developers within the Nexuiz community.
| Apparently they already have in excess of
| 30 core community members for this new
| project. This project aspires not only to
| take the GPL Nexuiz code and release it as
| a new game, but they are planning to
| provide new models and animations, new
| sounds and music, a makeover of many maps,
| higher quality content, and other
| organizational changes for the project.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODA4OA

Indie Gamers See The Linux Market

,----[ Quote ]
| It hasn't been that long ago that we
| brought you news of 2d boy World of Goo and
| the Frictional Games trilogy Penumbra.
| Since then, things have been pretty quiet
| on the Linux Game Front...at least to my
| ear, but then again, I'm not much of a
| gamer.
|
| Sure, I've played all the repository
| shooters...bloody chunks flying and
| monsters galore.  I have a short attention
| span...mostly because I suck at shooter
| games.  I just don't play them often.
`----

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2010/03/indie-gamers-see-linux-market.html

Welcome to Xonotic!

,----[ Quote ]
| We would like to formally announce the
| arrival of Xonotic â A free (GPL), fast-
| paced first-person shooter that works on
| Microsoft Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.
| Xonotic is a direct successor of the Nexuiz
| Project.
`----

http://www.xonotic.org/2010/03/22/welcome-to-xonotic/

Top 10 computer games of all time

,----[ Quote ]
| In actual fact there's a growing body of
| research that shows game playing can
| improve productivity by allowing the brain
| to concentrate on other things for a while.
| It makes sense to me, we have after all
| evolved playing games that have allowed us
| to try out new mental strategies.
|
| Originally we'd considered doing this last
| week to coincide with the Games Developer
| Conference in San Francisco. But we'd been
| planning the women in IT feature for weeks
| and that took precedence. However, with the
| game BAFTAS in the UK tonight we had an
| excuse to do the Top 10 list we've been
| mulling for a while now.
`----

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/170181,top-10-computer-games-of-all-time.aspx

Five nice opensource games for Linux

http://www.unixmen.com/gaming-on-linux/812-another-five-opensource-games-for-linux

Linux introduction to include games advice

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Users Victoria (LUV) beginners
| workshop will include something extra when
| it is held on March 20 â games on Linux.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/340193/linux_introduction_include_games_advice/

Stonetrip adds Android support to ShiVa game engine

,----[ Quote ]
| Now French company Stonetrip has announced
| its ShiVa3D technology, which was
| previously limited to web, PC, Mac, Linux
| and iPhone, now supports Android.
`----

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/ShiVa3D/news.asp?c=19226

Iranian Game Developer Prepares to Launch Title

,----[ Quote ]
| While Iran has been making a concerted
| effort of late to beef up its presence in
| the international game market, developers
| located there still must oversome a series
| of obstacles to create videogames.
|
| The Washington Post takes a look at the PC
| game Garshasp, the Monster Slayer, which
| was created by a team of 20 Iranians
| operating as Fanafzar Game Studios. The
| game, an action-adventure title for the PC
| set in a world of mythological monsters,
| and steeped in Persian history, is
| scheduled for a global release soon, but
| the developers are choosing to delay a
| domestic release in Iran, saying that âthis
| is not the right time to promote our gameâ
| in their own country.
`----

http://gamepolitics.com/2010/03/22/iranian-game-developer-prepares-launch-title

Iranian Developers Forced to Rely on Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Developing a current generation game
| without current generation software sounds
| like an impossible task - unless you're
| Fanafzar Game Studios.
`----

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99353-Iranian-Developers-Forced-to-Rely-on-Open-Source-Software

Play GBA and FC Games in Ubuntu with Mednafen

,----[ Quote ]
| It emulates:
|
| * Atari Lynx
| * GameBoy
| * GameBoy Color
| * GameBoy Advance
| * NES
| * PC Engine (TurboGrafx 16)
| * PC-FX
| * SuperGrafx
| * NeoGeo Pocket, NeoGeo Pocket Color
| * WonderSwan
`----

http://ubuntuguide.net/play-gba-and-fc-games-in-ubuntu-with-mednafen

RTS Game 0 A.D. Needs You!

,----[ Quote ]
| As I explained when I covered 0 A.D. in the
| fall, Iâm excited about the project because
| it promises to set several important
| precedents.  Besides bringing a high-
| quality, fully open-source RTS game to
| Linux usersâwho currently have to subsist
| mostly on half-baked, amateur games, if
| they play anything at allâthe 0 A.D.
| developers are helping to break new ground
| by building a professional-quality game on
| the open-source model (the developers of
| Glest and Battle for Wesnoth deserve
| similar credit in this regard, but theirs
| is a lonely world).
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2010/03/23/rts-game-0-a-d-needs-you/

Unigine Heaven 2.0 Linux Performance

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday the 2.0 release of the Unigine
| Heaven tech demo was released for Microsoft
| Windows users. This Windows release was
| greeted finally by the OpenGL Linux release
| of this impressive demo too. While we had
| published benchmarks and screenshots of the
| Unigine Heaven Linux release, this was
| based off of an internal build that we had
| received from Unigine Corp back in December
| -- long before the 2.0 release came about
| with its optimizations, updated engine, and
| new artwork. Due to this, we have now
| published a new set of Unigine Heaven
| performance numbers for Linux from a
| selection of ATI and NVIDIA graphics cards
| along with many new screenshots.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=unigine_20_performance&num=1

Unigine Heaven Shows What Linux Gaming Can Look Like

,----[ Quote ]
| Unigine Heaven is the latest technology
| demo / benchmark that shows off the latest
| state of the Unigine Engine, which
| continues to constantly advance and has
| picked up many new features since the
| Unigine Tropics release in 2008.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=unigine_heaven&num=1

Unigine's Heaven 2.0 Benchmark Introduces Linux Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Last November, game engine developer
| Unigine gave all Radeon HD 5000 users a fun
| tool to push their cards to the limit.
| Called "Heaven", the benchmark was the
| first on the market that both utilized
| DirectX 11 abilities and wasn't based
| around an actual game. Like Futuremark,
| Unigine builds its benchmarks with the
| mindset that what's exhibited will be seen
| in real games in the years ahead, assuring
| that it will remain a relevant benchmark
| for a little while.
`----

http://techgage.com/article/unigines_heaven_20_benchmark_introduces_linux_support

Linux games review