[News] Loads of New Tablets Run Only GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Loads of New Tablets Run Only GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 00:18:44 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The iPad Cometh, and So Do the Linuxy Contenders

,----[ Quote ]
| 'Year of Linux on the Tablet'
|
| LXer contributor H.Kwint dug deeper into
| the specifics, even putting together a
| handy table that compares some of the
| contenders, including Notion Ink's Adam
| Tablet and Always Innovating's Touchbook.
|
| "It's safe to say 2010 is the year of Linux
| on the tablet," Kwint went so far as to
| say.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/69639.html?wlc=1269945033

JooJoo Ships Tablet PC

,----[ Quote ]
| The JooJoo, originally called the
| Crunchpad, has a 12.l-inch capacitive
| touchscreen, Wi-Fi, a 4 GB solid-state
| drive and built-in Webcam and microphone
| for video chat. The device is powered by a
| proprietary, Web-centric version of Linux
| that boots in less than 10 seconds, the
| company says.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/handheld/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=224200611

Italian tablet PC runs Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Italy-based Ekoore is shipping a tablet PC
| that runs Ubuntu Linux or Windows on an
| Intel Atom N270. The Ekoore ET10TA10 offers
| a 10.2-inch, 1024 x 600 backlit
| touchscreen, as well as 1GB of RAM, flash
| expansion, a 160GB hard disk drive (HDD),
| and WiFi, Bluetooth, Ethernet, and USB
| connections, says Ekoore.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Ekoore-ET10TA10/

Will $99 Moby tablet swim or sink?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a development that it claims will be a
| game-changer in education, technology
| company Marvell has announced the prototype
| of a $99 tablet computer that students can
| use to surf the web, interact with
| electronic textbooks and other digital
| media, and collaborate with each other
| around the globe.
`----

http://www.eschoolnews.com/2010/03/26/will-99-tablet-swim-or-sink/

OpenPeakâs OpenTablet 7 Bets It All On Flash

,----[ Quote ]
| Behold: the OpenPeak OpenTablet 7.  It is a
| Linux tablet running on the Intel
| Moorestown 1.9 GHz chip.  For those of you
| who donât remember, Moorestown is an Atom-
| derived CPU for mobile platforms like
| smartphones.
`----

http://netbookboards.com/2010/03/27/openpeaks-opentablet-7-bets-it-all-on-flash/

WePad is an Android tablet from Germany

,----[ Quote ]
| Another product is joining the tablet wars.
| Itâs WePad, which comes from the German
| company Neofonie. Specs wise, weâre talking
| about the device thatâs more powerful than
| the Apple (NSDQ: AAPL) iPad, but as you
| know, itâs not the specs that win the
| consumersâ hearts, minds and ultimately
| wallets.
`----

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/03/22/wepad-is-an-android-tablet-from-germany.html

Apple iPad? How about a little German innovation instead

,----[ Quote ]
| The Neofonie WePad has similar form and
| function as the wet dreams of our
| Crunchgear editors, but facts are that the
| German Android device has a bigger
| multitouch screen and a faster CPU than the
| iPad. Also it runs Flash, has USB ports, an
| inbuilt card reader and expandable memory.
| Additionally it allows complete
| multitasking and has a webcam. Beat that
| baby.
`----

http://eu.techcrunch.com/2010/03/19/apple-ipad-how-about-a-little-german-innovation-instead/

Italian Ekoore ET10TA tablet PC with Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows tablets, Google Android tablets,
| the iPad. Weâve heard a lot of talk about
| tablets over the last few months. Hereâs
| one thatâs a little different. The Ekoore
| ET10TA looks like a typical Windows tablet,
| complete with a 10 inch, 1024 x 600 pixel
| display and a 1.6GHz Intel Atom N270
| processor. But it ships with a choice of
| Windows or Ubuntu Linux.
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2010/03/italian-ekoore-et10ta-tablet-pc-with-ubuntu-linux.html

Marvell announces $99 Moby Tablet to Revolutionize Education

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this press release, Marvell is
| announcing the $99 Moby Tablet for
| Education. Youâve seen my video of
| Marvellâs 4.3â Tablet prototype shown at
| CES based on the Marvell Armada 600
| processor. The Moby tablet is based on the
| same Armada 600 platform but comes with a
| larger screen (probably 10â).
`----

http://armdevices.net/2010/03/18/marvell-announces-99-moby-tablet-to-revolutionize-education/

Enso's zenPad is the cheap Android tablet you've always wanted, available now

,----[ Quote ]
| With so many concept Android tablets
| floating around lately we were inclined to
| just ignore this one -- until we learned
| two particularly interesting aspects: it
| starts at $155, and it's actually shipping
| now. It's the zenPad from Enso, a five-
| inch, 800 x 480 Android 1.6 tablet with 8GB
| of storage (on a replaceable microSD) that,
| for an additional $25, comes with GPS.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/22/ensos-zenpad-is-the-cheap-android-tablet-youve-always-wanted/

Eric Schmidt confirms Android (Marketplace?) for Tablets

,----[ Quote ]
| Eric Schmidt, CEO of Google, recently spoke
| about large screen Android Tablets at the
| Abu Dhabi Media Summit keynote (at timecode
| 10 minutes and 39 seconds). Itâs a nice way
| of Eric Schmidt to indirectly confirm that
| Google is definitely going to support the
| development of Android based Tablets as
| alternatives on the market to the upcoming
| iPad.
`----

http://armdevices.net/2010/03/17/eric-schmidt-confirms-android-marketplace-for-tablets/

Linux tablet plays 1080p video

,----[ Quote ]
| Fusion Garage is shipping a the Linux-based
| tablet formerly known as the CrunchPad.
| Rights to the "JooJoo" are still being
| legally contested by TechCrunch, which
| claims to have co-developed the device, but
| the 12.1-inch tablet is available anyway
| for $500, complete with a 4GB solid state
| drive (SSD), WiFi, Bluetooth, and a nine-
| second boot-time.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Fusion-Garage-JooJoo/

Recent:

Linux alternatives for the iPad - and the future of netbooks, tablets and smartbooks

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/131294/