[News] PCLinuxOS 2010 in Review, Mandriva in "Cloud Alliance"

  • Subject: [News] PCLinuxOS 2010 in Review, Mandriva in "Cloud Alliance"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:10:12 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

PCLinuxOS 2010 KDE 4.4.1 Beta 2

,----[ Quote ]
| Saw a notice that the subject's beta 2 for
| their first KDE 4.4.x release was
| available. Downloaded, burned and booted
| it.
|
| First impression:  I saw HAL leave a note
| on the screen about detecting my Intel GM45
| chip, setting up its parameters, and
| configuring the AGP aperture.   The result
| was that when KDE 4.4.1 came it it was
| lightening fast.  Installed Stellarium and
| got 50-60 fps, which is unprecedented for
| this GM45 chip in any version of Kubuntu,
| Mandriva, or several other LiveCDs I've
| tried in the last year and a half.  The
| best Lucid gives me in Stellarium is about
| half, 25-40 fps.   Turning on Desktop
| effects had NO noticeable slowdown in
| PCLOS.  In Kubuntu it drops my fps to 10-15
| fps.   Kubuntu's 3D gives me an occasional
| tearing over the bottom panel.   PCLOS's 3D
| is rock solid stable.
`----

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3110647

Planning a move to PCLinuxOS 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| But, all in all, it's a sour-sweet thing,
| because my current 2009 installation is
| absolutely solid, stable, and fast.
| Everything works as it should, and when
| rebasing a Linux distribution there's
| always the chance of a rough start. I trust
| Texstar and his team, but something could
| slip through the cracks. So I'll be on the
| safe side and wait a few weeks before
| reinstalling everything.
`----

http://my.opera.com/WhiteSpiral/blog/planning-a-move-to-pclinuxos-2010

Free Cloud Alliance Formed - Open Source IaaS, PaaS and SaaS for the Enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| IELO, Mandriva, Nexedi and TioLive join
| forces to create the Free Cloud Alliance
| (FCA), an alliance of Free / Open Source
| Software publishers which provides 100%
| Open Source solutions for the fast growing
| market of Enterprise Cloud Computing. The
| Free Cloud Alliance (freecloudalliance.org)
| is the first Open Source Cloud Computing
| Stack which covers both Infrastructure as a
| Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service
| (PaaS) and Software as a Service (SaaS)
| with a consistent set of technologies
| targetted at high performance and mission
| critical applications.
`----

http://www.newswiretoday.com/news/67499/

Recent:

PCLinuxOS delivers where others failed

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the reasons why I said PCLinuxOS is
| "A real distro-hopper-stopper is its
| ability to auto detect your devices. I have
| read elsewhere that mostly, only branded
| tvturner cards can work with linux. To my
| surprise, this is not the case with tvtime,
| the native tvturner software in PCLinuxOS
| and I guess it is available out-of-the-box
| on every versions of PCLOS (excellent job
| guys!).
|
| This software (tvtime) is so easy to use.
| Just right click on it and a menu will pop
| out for you to select a task. To get your
| tvturner working, simply click on "channel
| management" then "scan for signal" and
| start watching your favorite tv show!
`----

http://noteither.blogspot.com/2010/03/pclinuxos-delivers-where-others-failed.html