[News] Debian-based SimplyMEPIS 8.5 is Released, New Details About Ubuntu GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Debian-based SimplyMEPIS 8.5 is Released, New Details About Ubuntu GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:13:16 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

SimplyMEPIS 8.5 Goes Gold

,----[ Quote ]
| MEPIS LLC has announced the availability of
| SimplyMEPIS 8.5 from MEPIS and public
| mirrors. The ISO files for 32 and 64 bit
| processors are SimplyMEPIS-CD_8.5.01-
| rel1_32.iso and SimplyMEPIS-CD_8.5.01-
| rel1_64.iso respectively. Deltas are also
| available.
|
| On behalf of the MEPIS Community, Paul
| Brooks was on hand to say: "This is one of
| the best releases ever. The Community
| collaboration with Warren has strengthened
| over the past couple of years, with in-
| depth testing and the contribution of ideas
| and tweaks. In particular, the Community
| provided artwork and documentation, which I
| believe are top notch. Also community
| member Marcos led the charge to improve
| MEPIS utilities and to create new Community
| contributed utilities."
`----

http://www.mepis.org/node/14362

AAC codec may be removed from Ubuntu repos

,----[ Quote ]
| A closer examination of the libfaac codec,
| a free software project containing an AAC
| encoder installable and used by various
| packages in the Ubuntu repositories, has
| turned up a conflict: the codec cannot be
| freely distributed under the LGPL, a common
| license used for the distribution of media
| libraries in free software, due to the
| inclusion of several other licenses' which
| are incompatible with the LGPL. This is
| despite the fact libfaac declares itself as
| compatible with LGPL.
|
| Ubuntu 10.04 users wishing to play AAC
| format audio may find themselves out of
| luck.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/aac-codec-to-be-removed-from-ubuntu.html

More Right Window Button Ideas For Ubuntu 10.10

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent idea by Izo makes a lot more sense
| than all the previous ideas. Have a look
| (it's called "The Workflow Button")...
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/more-right-window-button-ideas-for.html

âAdditional buttonsâ concept for the right-hand side of windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Itâs a refined â and do-able â concept that
| makes use of the current way in which many
| people use their desktops (i.e. workspaces)
| but whether itâs âinnovativeâ enough to
| come to life will remains to be seen.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/additional-buttons-concept-for-right.html

10 Alternative Web Browsers for Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| With the Lucid Lynx release of Ubuntu just
| around the corner, we decided to take a
| look at some alternative browsers for Linux
| (some of them making their first
| appearances in the Ubuntu repositories with
| the 10.04 release). While Firefox is
| arguably still the champion of Linux web
| browsers, it can sometimes be slow and get
| bogged down by sites like Facebook. As a
| result (and just because itâs fun), some
| people have started to search for
| alternatives to Firefox on Linux.
| Thankfully, the Linux browser market has
| never been more full of competition. If
| youâre looking for a break from Firefox,
| thereâs probably an alternative browser out
| there for you.
`----

http://www.starryhope.com/linux/2010/10-alternative-browsers-for-ubuntu-linux/

Recent: