[News] Chances of Healthcare Done with Free Software Improve

  • Subject: [News] Chances of Healthcare Done with Free Software Improve
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:33:56 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

HealthAlliance restarts open-source desktop project

,----[ Quote ]
| Auckland health shared services unit
| HealthAlliance has resuscitated efforts to
| develop a standard desktop based on open-
| source software, but CIO Phil Brimacombe
| says it looks as though the District Health
| Boards will never be able to divorce their
| desktops entirely from Microsoft.
|
| First mooted in 2005, the open-source
| desktop idea, seen as potentially relevant
| for all DHBs, was âput into mothballsâ in
| 2009, owing to many higher-priority
| projects, Brimacombe says.
|
| [...]
|
| âThereâs no way we could be Microsoft-
| free,â says Brimacombe, âbut we expect a
| hybrid solution will still lower our total
| cost of ownership.â
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/technology/healthalliance-restarts-open-source-desktop-project

Here's How Much Money Your Hospital Could Get For Computerizing Records

,----[ Quote ]
| To get that money, however, hospitals have to
| meet certain criteria drafted by the federal
| government. Since Medsphere's e-health
| software is free -- so-called open-source
| software that you could download from home --
| the firm is hoping to turn a profit by
| helping hospitals set up e-records and meet
| those federal requirements. They developed
| the calculator as a marketing tool to show
| potential clients that much of their fees are
| offset by the stimulus cash.
`----

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010/03/find_out_how_much_stimulus_you.html

Recent: