[News] Use of Free Standards and Free Information on the Web Expands

  • Subject: [News] Use of Free Standards and Free Information on the Web Expands
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 13:28:29 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Government has allocated millions to create an Institute for Web Science.

,----[ Quote ]
| Alongside promises for superfast broadband,
| the government today announced Â30 million
| to create an Institute for Web Science,
| lead by web creator Sir Tim Berners-Lee and
| professor Nigel Shadbolt.
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/621697/tim-berners-lee-gets-30-million-for-web-studies

H.264 - A sting in the tail

,----[ Quote ]
| In the view of Tim Berners-Lee, "the lesson
| from the proliferation of new applications
| and services on top of the web
| infrastructure is that innovation will
| happen provided it has a platform of open
| technical standards, a flexible, scalable
| architecture, and access to these standards
| on royalty-free terms."
|
| H.264 is owned by MPEG-LA, the company that
| runs the patent pool shared between
| companies with patents on the codec. It is
| in the interest of the patent pool to
| encourage adoption of the codec, and to
| this end, MPEG-LA has promised that H.264
| will remain royalty-free until 2016.
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/cloud/2010/03/19/sting-in-the-tail-for-webs-video-codec-search-40082396/

An Overview of HTML5 and Its Anticipated Features

,----[ Quote ]
| âStandards are as interesting as a Russian
| Truck,â said Ken Olsen, president and CEO
| of Digital Equipment Corporation, at that
| time the second largest computer system
| company in the world.
|
| It was a fairly strange statement to come
| from a person whose company had helped
| develop more computer standards than almost
| any other, and the press had a field day
| with that quote. If he said it today, Ken
| might be thought to be addressing HTML5,
| the long-awaited standard of what has
| become the most important publishing
| mechanism on the face of the earth...the
| web.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/294887:an-overview-of-html5-and-its-anticipated-features

Kaltura Brings Video Services to Higher Education

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/kaltura-brings-video-services-to-higher-education

An Overview of HTML5 and Its Anticipated Features

,----[ Quote ]
| HTML5 will standardize a lot of things that
| have been done âad hocâ over the past ten
| years, and as such will build a solid base
| for the web to build on.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/294887:an-overview-of-html5-and-its-anticipated-features

Kaltura and Partners Launch New Initiatives to Promote Open Video and the HTML5 Standard

,----[ Quote ]
| "The world needs an open video standard
| which allows everyone to produce and share
| video, without licensing fees or browser
| plugins," said Erik Moller, Deputy Director
| of the Wikimedia Foundation. "HTML5 offers
| such a standard, and we have partnered with
| Kaltura to develop an open source HTML5
| video solution for Wikipedia. We encourage
| you to check it out, and to support open
| standards in your web applications.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/kaltura-and-partners-launch-new,1210968.shtml

Microsoft, where did you get those data about OpenDocument?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://stop.zona-m.net/digiworld/microsoft-where-did-you-get-those-data-about-opendocument