[News] Free Software Scrutinises UK government, Bruce Perens Explains Microsoft Lobbying

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Scrutinises UK government, Bruce Perens Explains Microsoft Lobbying
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 11:04:25 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

UK governmentâs open source commitment words not deeds says Ingres VP

,----[ Quote ]
| Ingres has a direct commercial interest in
| this, of course, so such statements are not
| surprising. Shine has a point though. It
| takes more than a few speeches to change
| the software culture of the myriad
| departments and other state-run entities
| that between them compose government IT.
`----

http://www.itwriting.com/blog/2381-uk-governments-open-source-commitment-words-not-deeds-says-ingres-vp.html

Should Governments Legislate a Preference for Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| Equal Representation, and Visibility of
| Lobbying
|
| It's been obvious, whenever I talk with
| government, that there's a well-staffed
| Microsoft lobbying organization nearby, as
| well as intermediaries who act for them
| like CompTIA. Against them, there's been a
| low or no-budget representation for Open
| Source, sometimes just me all alone. And of
| course the proprietary software companies
| can afford more advertising and they create
| lavish events to promote themselves.
|
| To level out this situation, and many
| others, we need required public reporting
| of all lobbying, including the parties
| present, the time and duration of the
| meeting, and the topics discussed. The
| general public should be able to see that
| information on the internet with no more
| than a day's delay, if they are to have a
| chance to offset the effect of the deep-
| pockets lobbyists.
|
| In addition, there needs to be legislation
| protecting and promoting the access of the
| less-grandly-funded to those in government
| who have or will receive other lobbies, so
| that there can be balance of
| representation.
`----

http://perens.com/blog/d/2010/3/22/28/

Related:

Microsoft: We were naivà about standards. No, really!

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/6/23/44269