[News] [Rival] Windows Mobile and Apple's iPad Too Dumbed Down to be Usable

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Windows Mobile and Apple's iPad Too Dumbed Down to be Usable
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 12:00:05 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Windows Phone 7 Series won't have copy and paste

,----[ Quote ]
| Ready for another long, drawn-out copy and
| paste controversy to overtake your every
| waking moment for a year or two? Good:
| Microsoft just mentioned in a Q&A session
| here at MIX10 in no uncertain terms that
| clipboard operations won't be supported on
| Windows Phone 7 Series... so that's that.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/16/windows-phone-7-series-wont-have-copy-and-paste/

Windows Phone OS will not have cut and paste

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1596725/windows-phone-os-cut-paste

Microsoft cuts out paste

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/17/cut_n_paste_b_gone/

Windows Phone 7: Microsoft's exercise in self restraint

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/20/windows_phone_7_design/

Windows Phone 7 Series gets Timotei rinse

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/18/windows_phone_7_ad/

Microsoft to Restrict Windows Phone 7 Apps

http://www.pcworld.com/article/191573/microsoft_to_restrict_windows_phone_7_apps.html?tk=rss_news

Microsoft Doing Little to Reassure Mobile Biz Customers

,----[ Quote ]
| There is a growing gap between what
| business technologists want from Windows
| Phone 7 and what Microsoft may actually
| deliver.
`----

http://www.mobileenterprisemag.com/ME2/Sites/dirmod.asp

Microsoft Immediately Stumbles in Quest for Well-Designed Phone Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Sadly for Microsoft, when you start digging
| into the actual documents, you immediately
| realize: Microsoft might suddenly care
| about design in a new way. But it doesn't
| mean that they've actually changed as a
| company.
`----

http://www.fastcompany.com/1586552/microsoft-wants-better-designed-apps-for-its-new-mobile-os-whoops

Does Microsoft thinking copying the 2007 iPhone is a good idea?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/?p=3298

Windows Phone manager's exit a good sign for Microsoft's strategy

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2010/03/windows_phone_manager_so_sold_on_microsoft_strategy_he_had_to_leave.html

Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 Needs to Avoid Past Strategy

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Microsofts-Windows-Phone-7-Needs-to-Avoid-Past-Strategy-160244/

Meet Tim Bray, New Face of the Google-Apple Rivalry

http://www.pcworld.com/article/191633/tim_bray_android.html?tk=rss_news

Apple will not replace Ipad batteries

,----[ Quote ]
| EXPENSIVE TOYMAKER Apple has made it clear
| that when the battery dies in its
| overpriced keyboardless netbook, the Ipad,
| you will have to stump up $99 for a new
| discounted machine.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1596392/apple-replace-ipad-batteries

Apple details iPad's 'breakthrough' mobile contract

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/15/ipad_more_details/

Recent:

iPad jailbreak for OS 3.2 coming soon with GreenPois0n

,----[ Quote ]
| The iPad isnât even out yet, and a jailbreak
| is already in the works for its OS version 3.2
| by Joshua Hill, member of the Chronic Dev
| team. According to BlogsDNA, Joshua has
| tweeted some images of the GreenPois0n
| (running on Linux) and asked for donations
| from those who are interested in the iPad
| jailbreak.
`----

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/ipad-jailbreak-for-os-3-2-coming-soon-with-greenpois0n-981231/

What is it about Apple Inc., really?

,----[ Quote ]
| I just keep asking myself, what is it that makes Apple toys
| so special even if they come at a huge cost, both
| economically and philosophically?
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/03/what-is-it-about-apple-inc-really.html

An iPad on your belt?

,----[ Quote ]
| After that, why not a wearable Mac or Linux
| PC? We've already had wearable Linux and
| Windows PCs, but those early models had all
| the problems I listed earlier. In 2010, it's a
| different story. We may not have flying cars,
| but we can certainly have wearable computers.
|
| We already know that Asus is looking into
| running Google's Linux-based Chrome OS on
| wearable PCs. Who knows: in 2020, we may look
| back and see that iPads and tablet computers
| were only a brief rest stop on the way to
| wearable entertainment devices and computers.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15753/an_ipad_on_your_belt

iPad hype drives away consumers, survey says

,----[ Quote ]
| When the over-the-top hype met the reality
| of Apple's iPad, a majority of consumers
| decided they didn't need, and wouldn't
| buy, the new device, a survey published
| today said.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/335335/ipad_hype_drives_away_consumers_survey_says?fp=2&fpid=1&rid=1

Opinion on the iPad Plummets Post-Intro

,----[ Quote ]
| With all of the hype surrounding the
| introduction of Apple's iPad, it was
| practically impossible for the device to
| live up to the runaway expectations. While
| it's impossible to please 100 percent of
| the crowd, Apple may be finding that as
| time goes on, people like what they see
| less and less.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/hardware/article.php/3863716

iPad Study: The More You Know, The Less You Want One

http://www.pcworld.com/article/188745/iPad_Study_The_More_You_Know_The_Less_You_Want_One.html?tk=rss_news

iPad Interest Evaporates, But Math is Fuzzy

http://www.pcworld.com/article/188809/ipad_interest_evaporates_but_math_is_fuzzy.html?tk=rss_news

iPad 'No Tablet,' Says Ex-Apple Exec

,----[ Quote ]
| The iPad is too big and lacks
| communication capabilities, argued the
| former Apple executive who oversaw the
| demise of the company's iconic-but-flawed
| Newton more than a decade ago.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/188604/ipad_no_tablet_says_ex_apple_exec.html?tk=rss_news

The iPad questions Apple won't answer

http://infoworld.com/d/mobilize/ipad-questions-apple-wont-answer-972

Former Apple exec says iPad too big, "smarted out"

,----[ Quote ]
| The iPad is too big and lacks communication
| capabilities, argued the former Apple
| executive who oversaw the demise of the
| company's iconic-but-flawed Newton more
| than a decade ago.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/335179/former_apple_exec_says_ipad_too_big_smarted?fp=2&fpid=1&rid=1

The iPad is iBad for Freedom!

http://newstrendstoday.com/the-ipad-is-ibad-for-freedom/04257

Apple's iPad is a technological faux pas

,----[ Quote ]
| Which is rather disappointing, considering the
| opportunity that Apple had to launch the iPad
| with Mac OS X and be a truly powerful
| computing device.
`----

http://www.advocate-online.net/Archives/archives20092010/20510/o_ipad.php

Questions (and Answers) on the iPad's Shortcomings

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1958217,00.html

Defective by Design delivers iPad anti-DRM petition with 5,000 signatures to Jobs -- more coming

,----[ Quote ]
| The first 5,000 names have been printed on a
| four-foot tall "tablet" and shipped to
| Cupertino. Defective by Design will send a new
| tablet for every 5,000 signatures.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/news/ipad-drm-petition-delivered

The Ipad might not be released in the EU

,----[ Quote ]
| EXPENSIVE GADGET MAKER Apple is probably
| already regretting its daft name for its giant
| Ipod Touch, but it is looking like it will
| have a devil of a time using the Ipad name in
| the EU.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1590588/th-ipad-released-eu

Android Tablets vs. Apple iPad: Comparison/Review

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://phandroid.com/2010/01/29/android-tablets-vs-apple-ipad-comparisonreview/