[News] [Rival] Microsoft Tax Avoidance Carries on and Expands

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Tax Avoidance Carries on and Expands
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 12:19:47 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

10% Tax On Custom Software, $100M Tax Cut For Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, the Washington State House of
| Representatives passed a bill which would
| impose a 10% tax on custom software while
| all but eliminating a $100 million yearly
| tax obligation that some say Microsoft is
| wrongfully avoiding by routing large chunks
| of business through an office in Nevada.
`----

http://politics.slashdot.org/story/10/03/26/1818241/10-Tax-On-Custom-Software-100M-Tax-Cut-For-Microsoft

State tax break entices tech firms to build data centers

,----[ Quote ]
| Legislators and businesses have been
| worried about losing new data centers to
| other states since Microsoft, citing the
| state's tax law, moved its cloud- computing
| platform Azure out of Washington to another
| U.S. data center. The news was distressing
| to the Grant County town of Quincy, where
| Yahoo, Microsoft and Intuit have built
| large server farms, drawn to the county's
| cheap and green hydropower.
|
| Server farms send data and software across
| the Internet to users and to Web sites
| around the world. Microsoft continues to
| operate a data center in Quincy but chose
| last year not to expand Azure there.
| Running a server farm requires large
| amounts of energy and bandwidth.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2011383119_datacenter19.html

WA seeks new tax revenue from software, but not from Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| "We donât think weâd win a court case on
| this," Hunter said, noting that losing a
| lawsuit against Microsoft could jeopardize
| other potential cases involving what the
| state might consider more legitimate
| claims.
|
| Hunter, who worked at Microsoft for 17
| years, disagreed with any implication that
| he's improperly influenced by his former
| employer.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2010/03/wash_tax_plan_shakes_small_software_makers_skips_microsoft.html

Wash. gov approves smelter, server farm tax breaks

,----[ Quote ]
| Gregoire said she'd spoken to Microsoft
| Corp. and other companies about their
| desire to build new server farms if the tax
| break were enacted, and predicted at least
| three of the facilities would be built
| soon.
`----

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420ap_wa_xgr_tax_breaks.html

A simple amendment to end the House - Senate budget impasse

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/a-simple-amendment-to-end-the-house-senate-budget-impasse.html

HB 3191: Washington Taxpayers vs. Microsoft's $40 billion in cash on hand

,----[ Quote ]
| I estimate that Microsoft has avoided B&O
| royalty tax on $149 billion in licensing
| revenue since 1997.
`----

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/hb-3191-washington-taxpayers-vs-microsofts-40-billion-in-cash-on-hand.html

HB 6143: No Royalty Tax Amnesty for Microsoft's Nevada Dodge This Year?

,----[ Quote ]
| While we're still reviewing and clarifying
| changes to the latest house-passed bill, it
| appears that the honorable Democratic
| Representatives Tomiko Santos and Kessler
| pushed through adoption of a last minute
| amendment (pdf) striking the clauses that
| might otherwise have given Microsoft's tax
| dodge amnesty on an estimated $1.25 billion
| in unpaid taxes, interest and penalties.
|
| You can see the amendments to SB 6143 here.
| The follow up amendment (pdf) by former
| Microsoft veteran Rep. Hunter directs the
| Department of Revenue to study the issue
| further, but does not forgive any tax
| debts, as his earlier bill seemed to....
`----

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/hb-6143-no-royalty-tax-amnesty-for-microsofts-nevada-dodge-this-year.html

Rep. Chase Takes on Microsoft's Nevada Tax Dodge with the Democratic Legislature

,----[ Quote ]
| Things are heating up in Olympia and
| Microsoft's Nevada Tax Dodge is now being
| actively presented for discussion within
| the Democratic caucus. We greatly
| appreciate Rep. Maralyn Chase's strong
| concerns for tax fairness.
`----

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/rep-chase-takes-on-microsofts-nevada-tax-dodge-with-the-democratic-legislature.html

New Fact Sheet on Microsoft's Nevada Tax Dodge

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/new-fact-sheet-on-microsofts-nevada-tax-dodge.html

Recent:

Microsoft Tax Cut & Amnesty Pending in the Legislature

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/microsoft-tax-cut-amnesty-pending-in-the-legislature.html

Open Letter to the Washington State Legislature on HB 3191

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/open-letter-to-the-washington-state-legislature-on-hb-3191.html

Rep. Larry Seaquist: It's only a tax cut, if you were paying the tax

,----[ Quote ]
| Does the Department of Revenue think
| Microsoft is following the law? Well,
| we've recently received a more detailed
| response from the department about this
| issue and will post more shortly. All I'll
| say for now is that HB3176 labels this
| kind of out of state tax dodge an "abusive
| tax practice".
|
| As for Rep. Seaquist, when I wrote him to
| be sure he understood the problems with
| the bill (and to ask him for a public
| statement for the blog), he replied,
| "Gents, please direct your continuing
| concerns to Rep. Hunter. Very best wishes,
| Larry"
`----

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/we-hope-the-washington-state-legislature-understands-hb-3176-better-than-rep-larry-sequist.html

Update on Status and Records Requests Related to Microsoft Tax Dodge

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/update-on-status-and-records-requests-related-to-microsoft-tax-dodge.html

Public Records Request Received Regarding HB3176 and Rep. Hunter

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/public-records-request-received-regarding-hb3176-and-rep-hunter.html

Attorney General Affirms Non-Disclosure of Department of Revenue Tax Documents

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/attorney-general-affirms-nondisclosure-of-department-of-revenue-tax-documents.html

Cartoonist Takes on Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and Washington State

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/02/cartoonist-takes-on-microsoft-ceo-steve-ballmer-and-washington-state.html

Cartoon about Microsoft's giant tax gift from Washington State

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/23/cartoon-about-micros.html