[News] More Radio Stations Adopt Ogg

Radio stations awarded for usage of open standards

,----[ Quote ]
| On today's "Document Freedom Day" the German
| radio stations Deutschlandfunk,
| Deutschlandradio Kultur and Austrian Radio
| Orange were lauded for their usage of the open
| Ogg Vorbis format for live streaming.
|
| In Berlin staff members of Deutschlandradio
| received an award certificate and a big cake
| with the slogan "rOgg on!". The certificate
| was awarded by the Foundation for a Free
| Information Infrastructure (FFII) together
| with the Free Software Foundation Europe
| (FSFE).
|
| [...]
|
| Often licensing fees for patented formats are
| not levied until everyone depends on these
| formats. Only after the GIF graphics format
| was widely spread, in 1994 the patent holder
| Unisys demanded royalties. Only after MP3
| became popular, in 1998 Fraunhofer Research
| and Thomson demanded licensing fees for its
| audio format covered by over a dozen patents.
| Free open source implementations of these
| formats are systematically barred from the
| market. The way out of the "lock-in", the
| patent trap, are open formats such as Ogg
| Vorbis.
|
| Vigilance remains necessary. For example,
| the video compression format H.264 is in
| widespread use today. It is included in
| mobile devices and smartphone as well as
| many video platforms on the Internet. But
| the format is encumbered by over 1000
| patents, managed by a consortium of about
| 25 corporations. Various companies have
| announced to use this H.264 format for the
| video functions in HTML5.
`----

https://press.ffii.org/Press%20releases/Radio%20stations%20awarded%20for%20usage%20of%20open%20standards

Recent:

Ogg Theora vs. H.264: head to head comparisons

,----[ Quote ]
| Streaming video websites like YouTube face
| growing pressure from consumers to provide
| support for native standards-based Web video
| playback. The HTML5 video element provides the
| necessary functionality to build robust Web
| media players without having to depend on
| proprietary plugins, but the browser vendors
| have not been able to build a consensus around
| a video codec.
|
| Although the h264 codec has gained dominance
| due to its excellent compression and broad
| support in the consumer electronics ecosystem,
| it is covered by patents that preclude broad
| royalty-free usage. Several browser vendors,
| including Opera and Mozilla, favor the Ogg
| Theora media codec, which is believed to be
| unencumbered by patents. Ogg may offer
| advantages from a licensing standpoint, but
| there are still many unanswered questions
| about its quality and suitability for Internet
| video streaming services.
|
| [...]
|
| Some streaming video experts, including Ozer,
| are not convinced that royalty-free VP8 will
| solve all of the problems that the industry is
| facing with standards-based video. He contends
| that the cost of reencoding existing content
| will make it difficult for streaming content
| providers to adopt alternatives to h264 at
| this stage regardless of whether the
| alternative is royalty-free.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/02/ogg-theora-vs-h264-head-to-head-comparisons.ars