[News] Sony Symbolises What's Wrong With Computing and Why We Need Free(dom) Software

  • Subject: [News] Sony Symbolises What's Wrong With Computing and Why We Need Free(dom) Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 21:35:14 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Sony's PS3 Drops Linux; Why You Should Care

,----[ Quote ]
| While Sony is pulling away from Linux and the
| community, we can't help but to think about
| the other end of the spectrum and a company
| that has fully supported the enthusiast
| community: id Software.
|
| Rather than increasing restrictions over
| time, id has a great history of decreasing
| restrictions over time.  One good example is
| how they release the source code to their
| game engines via GPL after a reasonable
| amount of time.  If Sony were following id's
| model they would be opening up RSX support in
| a future version of PS3 Linux as opposed to
| pulling it away.
|
| I sent a few quick questions to John Carmack,
| co-founder of id software, lead engineer of
| Armadillo Aerospace, Linux supporter, and an
| all-around good guy to get his thoughts on
| the situation.
`----

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ps3-playstation-3-linux-john-carmack,10035.html

Linux Gazette - April 2010 (#173)

http://linuxgazette.net/173/index.html

Recent:

Sony Deletes Feature On PS3's; You Don't Own What You Thought You Bought

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100331/0128358800.shtml