[News] Paralyzed Man Relies on Free Software, Why Toyota Should Too

  • Subject: [News] Paralyzed Man Relies on Free Software, Why Toyota Should Too
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 22:13:55 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Paralyzed Artist Relies on Open Source Device for Drawing

,----[ Quote ]
| Even though Los Angeles-based graffiti
| artist Tony Quan's body has been ravaged
| by Lou Gehrig's disease, his mind is as
| sharp as ever. Unable to move anything but
| his eyes, he nearly had to give up his
| love of creating art until a group of
| hackers stepped in with an alternative.
| They designed Quan an open source eye
| tracking device that allows him to
| continue creating his artwork using
| nothing but the muscles in his eyes.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/paralyzed-artist-relies-on-open-source-device-for-drawing

Why Toyota Should Go Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| The software development equivalent of
| kaizen, of course, is open-source
| software. As the chief executive of Red
| Hat, the world's leading provider of open-
| source technology solutions, you can color
| me biased, but open source represents the
| most significant change and most
| disruptive force in software development
| in 20 years. In the open-source software
| model, the human-readable source code is
| distributed along with the computer-
| readable machine code. Users are
| encouraged to understand the code, find
| flaws, suggest fixes, and add
| functionality. As with kaizen
| manufacturing principles, open source
| encourages participation and continuous
| improvement. It can shrink defects to a
| negligible number. Since 2006, the
| Coverity Scan Open Source Report has
| analyzed more than 60 million unique lines
| of code from more than 280 popular open-
| source projects, including Firefox, Linux,
| and PHP. In 2009, states the report, open
| source code had roughly one defect per
| 4,000 lines of code, a marked contrast
| with the stats for proprietary code.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/mar2010/id20100329_064567.htm

Recent:

A Modest Proposal for Toyota: Release the Code!

,----[ Quote ]
| Things look bad for Toyota. There was yet
| another unintended acceleration incident
| involving a Toyota yesterday. A Prius in New
| York on its way to the dealership to have its
| gas-pedal checked out crashed into a stone
| wall.
|
| Toyota has always maintained that its
| unintended acceleration problems are
| mechanical in nature. If it wasnât a bunched-
| up floor mat itâs a sticky gas pedal.
| Customers and regulators have their own
| theories however. They suspect the  electronic
| throttle control, or ECT.
`----

http://industry.bnet.com/auto/10004051/a-modest-proposal-for-toyota/

The Toyota Recall and the Case for Open, Auditable Source Code

,----[ Quote ]
| Finally, in response to the controversy,
| Sequoia Voting Systems announced last October
| that their new voting machines would be based
| on publicly available source code and open
| architectures, noting that â[s]ecurity through
| obfuscation and secrecy is not securityâ and
| that â[f]ully disclosed source code is the
| path to true transparency and confidence in
| the voting process for all involved.â
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/blog/2010/feb/19/toyota-recall-and-case-open-auditable-source-code/

Related: