[News] New Examples of Open Source Impact Spreading Beyond Just Code

  • Subject: [News] New Examples of Open Source Impact Spreading Beyond Just Code
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 09:58:38 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Source Electronic Resource Management System: A Collaborative Implementation

,----[ Quote ]
| Librarians and strategists at Simon Fraser
| University (SFU) have collaborated with a
| team of middle-sized libraries to expand
| the open-source CUFTS Researcher suite of
| tools to include an Electronic Resources
| Management (ERM) system. This paper focuses
| on: the development and implementation of
| the CUFTS ERM; interoperability between
| CUFTS ERM and integrated library systems
| (Millennium); impact of the ERM on
| acquisitions, serials, and collections
| workflows and staffing at SFU Library and
| the University of Prince Edward Island
| (UPEI) Library.
`----

http://eprints.rclis.org/18161/

The Palmetto Open Source Software Conference is coming

,----[ Quote ]
| Registration opened last week for the
| Palmetto Open Source Software Conference
| (POSSCON,) the premier free and open source
| software confence in Columbia, South
| Carolina. It's a great way to both educate
| and involve yourself, or your organization,
| in free and open software and technology.
`----

http://charleston.thedigitel.com/creative-class/palmetto-open-source-software-conference-coming-20203-0330

Portland Open Source promoter created Google map after bomb exploded

,----[ Quote ]
| Sitting in a restaurant, the designer and
| organizer of an upcoming Open Source
| conference saw tweets flashing on his
| screen. Within five minutes, the hashtag
| #pdxboom emerged. And so, Beels waded in,
| creating a Google map for people to mark
| where they were when they heard the bomb
| and how it sounded.
`----

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/03/portland_open_source_promoter.html

Itâs Baseball Season