[News] How Openness and Freedom ("Open Source") Improve Quality of Life

  • Subject: [News] How Openness and Freedom ("Open Source") Improve Quality of Life
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 10:40:09 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open source prosthetics

,----[ Quote ]
| I found out about www.openprosthetics.org
| in March, and immediately fell in love.
| NPR described the creator, Jonathan
| Kuniholm's mission, as an "open-source
| collaboration that makes its innovations
| available to anyone."
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/02/open-source-prosthet-1.html

Open-source biotechnology

,----[ Quote ]
| The free software community, along with the
| commercial ecosystem which surrounds it, is
| widely seen as having pointed the way
| toward successful, collaborative
| development of common resources. We have
| seen a number of attempts to port the free
| software model to other areas of endeavor.
| Open content, headlined by sites like
| Wikipedia, has adopted this model with
| considerable success. Other areas, such as
| open hardware, are still trying to find
| their way. Your editor recently read an
| interesting book (Rob Carlson's Biology is
| Technology), which raises an interesting
| question: is there a place for an ecosystem
| based around free "software" running on
| biological processors?
`----

https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/381091/24eefd97b7eb76d3/

Steampunks gather for Great Exhibition

,----[ Quote ]
| Many of those involved in steampunk do take
| a political stance by championing open
| source software, transparency and the use
| of licences that let anyone rip mix and
| burn what they have done.

Mapping data and geographic information from Ordnance Survey

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/opendata/