[News] Calls for Standards on Document Freedom Day; Google's HTML5 Showcase

  • Subject: [News] Calls for Standards on Document Freedom Day; Google's HTML5 Showcase
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 10:43:55 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Document Freedom Day - rOgg on in April!

,----[ Quote ]
| This week the German and the Austrian team
| published a press release about our DFD
| activity (at the moment only in German)).
| The news that we and FFII will give our
| this years DFD price to Deutschlandradio
| (Germany) and Radio Orange 94.0 for their
| use of Ogg-Vorbis already got good media
| coverage on Gulli, Golem, Heise,
| Netzpolitik, OSZine, and Pro-Linux.
`----

http://blogs.fsfe.org/mk/?p=478

Reject Microsoft Office Attachments Says Free Software Group

,----[ Quote ]
| Just say no to Word, Excel attachments say | free and open software campaigners
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft and Apple formats are against
| freedom, says FSF
|
| Documents, spreadsheets and presentations
| sent in Microsoft Word or Excel native
| formats, or documents created in Appleâs
| iWorks, are proprietary and incompatible
| with freedom and an accessible web, the
| group says.
`----

http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/news/reject-microsoft-office-attachments-says-free-software-group-6232

Google Gets Quake II Running In HTML5, Just For Fun

,----[ Quote ]
| A trio of Google engineers have ported id
| Software's gib-filled first-person shooter
| Quake II to browsersâ you know, for kicksâ
| as a way to show just what HTML5 compatible
| web browsers are capable of.
`----

http://kotaku.com/5507640/google-gets-quake-ii-running-in-html5-just-for-fun

Brightcove Embraces HTML5, Passes On Theora Support

,----[ Quote ]
| In my opinion, Brightcove, like most of the
| others that are announcing support for
| HTML5, is not acting as a friend to the
| Open Source movement by going with H.264
| encoding and not adding support for Theora.
`----

http://www.reelseo.com/brightcove-embraces-html5/

Google Shows How HTML5 Can Run Quake In The Browser

http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/01/google-html5-quake/

Quake II ported to use HTML5 technologies

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Quake-II-ported-to-use-HTML5-technologies-969764.html

Recent:

The importance of Document Freedom Day explained by Microsoft job offer

,----[ Quote ]
| On January 4th, 2010, Microsoft published
| on his website a job offer for a Linux and
| Open Office Compete Lead. Since then the
| offer has been removed, but a PDF version
| of that page is still available here and in
| other places online. Reading that offer is
| very interesting because it proves, in case
| you weren't convinced yet, what really
| constitutes the reason of Microsoft's huge
| market "share".
|
| Among other things, the job offer says that
| (bold fonts are mine) "the job consists of
| focusing on one of the biggest issues that
| is top of mind for... Steve Ballmer... The
| core mission of CSI is to win share against
| Linux and OpenOffice.org". Responsibilities
| include (last bullet on page 1) "to see
| where Linux Server and OpenOffice
| challenges arise."
|
| Here is, in normal language, what Microsoft
| actually said with that job offer:
|
|    1. Operating systems which are
|    alternative to Windows, like Linux, are
|    a "big issue" only in the server market
|    (the servers are the computers powering
|    websites, databases and other
|    centralized services: the computers on
|    people's desks, and by extension the
|    software they run, are called "desktops"
|    instead)
|    2. In the desktop market the real "big
|    issue" for Microsoft are not
|    alternatives to Windows, like Linux, but
|    alternatives to Microsoft Office, like
|    OpenOffice
`----

http://stop.zona-m.net/node/138

Document Freedom Day Interview with Chris Moore, CIO, City of Edmonton

,----[ Quote ]
| ODFA:  Edmonton is obviously in good
| company among leading Canadian cities
| embracing open standards and
| interoperability, along with efforts
| underway in Vancouver and Toronto.  Have
| you been working collaboratively with those
| cities to share insights, and do you think
| the Canadian Federal Government will follow
| the lead?  What are they doing in this
| area, and should they be following your
| lead?  Do you think it's harder for a
| Federal Government to transition than
| municipal or local governments?
`----

http://www.odfalliance.org/blog/index.php/site/dfd2010_chrismoore/

OpenOffice market share worksheet

,----[ Quote ]
| Drew Jensen, a stalwart OpenOffice.org
| community contributor, pointed us to this
| worksheet describing office suite market
| share. It should probably be posted, too,
| to Major OpenOffice.org Deployments -
| OpenOffice.org Wiki and also to our Market
| Share wiki,
| http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Market_Share_Analysis
`----

http://ooo-speak.blogspot.com/2010/03/openoffice-market-share-worksheet.html

Why I support Document Freedom Day

,----[ Quote ]
| In this sense, I am reminded how Tommy
| Douglas, the founder of universal medical
| coverage in Canada, explained why he stood
| by his social democratic beliefs when most
| of them had no chance of being widely
| accepted:
|
|     You say the little efforts that I make
|     will do no good; they never will
|     prevail to tip the hovering scale where
|     justice hangs in balance. I donât think
|     I ever thought they would, but I am
|     prejudiced beyond debate in favor of my
|     right to choose which side shall feel
|     the stubborn ounces of my weight.
|
| In other words, sometimes you need to stand
| up for what you know is right, regardless
| of consequences, simply out of self-
| respect. Campaigns like Document Freedom
| Day give the opportunity for such self-
| reaffirmation, and I would support them for
| that reason alone, even if more practical
| reasons did not exist as well.
`----

http://brucebyfield.wordpress.com/2010/03/31/why-i-support-document-freedom-day/

Supporting Document Freedom Day