[News] Android/Linux Gets More Developer Support

  • Subject: [News] Android/Linux Gets More Developer Support
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 00:48:47 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Digg Launches Android App, Announces Hiring

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, Digg has launched its Android App.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2010/04/02/digg-launches-android-app-announces-hiring

Fennec comes to Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Firefox's little cousin is now on Android,
| showing what an alternative browser can do
| for Google's platform.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/31/fennec_android/

Developers turn sour on Apple iPad

,----[ Quote ]
| Android is on the rise, despite the fact
| that Google insists on fragmenting its
| fledgling market. Meanwhile, BlackBerry is
| up to 43 per cent, and mobile Windows -
| following the introduction of Windows
| Phone 7 - has leapt from 13 per cent to 39
| per cent.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/02/apple_ipad_developer_survey/

Rogers Launching Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 On April 15 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday, we summarized on the happenings
| of the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Android
| device heading to Rogers.
`----

http://www.androidincanada.ca/news/rogers-launching-sony-ericsson-xperia-x10-on-april-15-2010/

Report Shows More Planning to Buy Android over iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the results, 30% of those
| polled  are considering Android as opposed
| to 29% for the iPhone.  While the number
| is very close and not indicative of all
| potential buyers, it's still worth noting.
| Even more telling for Android's growth is
| that it jumped 9% from December.
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/04/03/report-shows-planning-buy-android-iphone/

Motorola's Devour: An Android Phone for Info Gorgers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Devour comes with the typical Android
| array of Google applications -- Gmail,
| Google Talk, YouTube, Google Search,
| Google Maps and Google Maps Navigation.
| Additional applications can be downloaded
| from the Android Market, which has between
| 20,000 and 30,000 apps.

Google Is Missing an Android Opportunity on Non-smartphones

,----[ Quote ]
| Android is growing like crazy on
| smartphones â and stagnating everywhere
| else. Thatâs because Google is keeping its
| app store off all Android devices that
| arenât smartphones. Such an approach is
| understandable only in the sense that it
| gives the company more control over the
| Android experience, but it will ultimately
| serve to send consumers in search of
| devices that offer them more freedom.
|
| Take the ARCHOS Internet Tablet that
| debuted in September of last year. The 5-
| inch slate device offers a mobile web
| experience powered by the Android
| platform, yet doesnât offer access to the
| Android Market â preventing its owners
| from making use of even the most basic
| Google apps, like Gmail.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2010/04/04/google-is-missing-an-android-opportunity-on-non-smartphones/

Recent:

One Android To Rule Them All?

,----[ Quote ]
| Android is looking good, no doubt about it.
| What has started as a Linux-based OS for
| handsets (i.e., mobile phones) has now
| rapidly spread to different devices. There
| are small tablet computers like Archos'
| Internet tablets and Enso's zenPad, e-book
| readers like Barnes & Noble's nook and
| Spring Designs Alex, and even a netbook -
| Acer's Aspire One D250 (actually dual boots
| with Windows 7).
`----

http://steamingopencup.blogspot.com/2010/03/one-android-to-rule-them-all.html

Survey: Developer Interest in Android Up, iPad Wanes

,----[ Quote ]
| Appcelerator, maker of the open-source
| Titanium cross-platform mobile, desktop and
| Web development platform, has released a
| new survey of its developer base that
| indicates that, while still hot, developer
| interest in Apple's iPad is slightly on the
| wane from earlier this year, while interest
| in the Google Android platform continues to
| grow.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Application-Development/Survey-Developer-Interest-in-Android-Up-iPad-Wanes-269176/

MIPS targets Android handsets

,----[ Quote ]
| MIPS Technologies, the microprocessor core
| licensor, has identified penetration of the
| cellular handset market as its top
| corporate priority.
|
| "It's at the top of my agenda," Sandeep
| Vij, who took over as CEO of MIPS last
| January, tells Electronics Weekly, "two
| customers are building chips for Android
| handsets based on MIPS - one in China and
| one in EMEA."
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2010/04/01/48338/mips-targets-android-handsets.htm

Android on HTC Kaiser (Tilt 8925)