[News] UK Internet at Risk Due to Digital Economy Bill (Days Left to Respond)

  • Subject: [News] UK Internet at Risk Due to Digital Economy Bill (Days Left to Respond)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 01:30:52 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Opposition mounts to UK's Digital Economy Bill

,----[ Quote ]
| The government has published a new draft
| of a controversial clause in the Digital
| Economy bill, in an effort to ease its
| progress through parliament.
|
| The Liberal Democrats said they will
| oppose any plans to rush the Digital
| Economy bill into law.

Google DC Talk 11.1.10: ACTA â The Global Treaty That Could Reshape The Internet

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2010/04/04/google-dc-talk-11-1-10-acta-the-global-treaty-that-could-reshape-the-internet/

This Tuesday, the government will rush a law that could cut you off the Internet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOyg1GUY18U

Open Rights Group raises Flash Mobâ of 7

,----[ Quote ]
| Music House â HQ for a number of the UK
| music industryâs trade groups â was in a
| lock-down situation this lunchtime as an
| Open Rights Group Flash Mob descended,
| protesting against the Digital Economy
| Bill.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/01/org_flashmob/

Clause 18, DEB redux

,----[ Quote ]
| No specification of what form a notice
| requesting blocking should take (a la
| DMCA) so an ISP can at least find the
| right site (or part of a site) and know
| the request comes from genuine
| rightsholders, with genuine grievances,
| and not A N Other. No need to notify a
| site if it is blocked without court order.
| And no provision for a site to go to court
| and demand it be unblocked or at least
| demand to know why it has been blocked
| ("stay up" a la DMCA "put back" . A model
| for these already existed. Why has it been
| pointedly ignored in favour of a profusion
| of "mays" and "likely"s?
`----

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/clause-18-deb-redux

Disconnection notices served to UK Music, BPI and politicians

,----[ Quote ]
| On Thursday, our 'Police' visited the
| offices of the BPI, Conservative, Liberal
| Democrat and Labour parties, and UK Music,
| and presented them with notice that the
| Digital Economy Bill is disconnected, from
| democracy, human rights, public opinion
| and sound business sense.
`----

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/disconnection-notices-served

The Digital Economy Bill: Thinking about Banana Ice Cream

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine there was a little tinpot
| dictatorship somewhere. Letâs call it a
| Banana Ice-Cream Republic.
|
| [...]
|
| Which is why the change in the law made so
| many of the townspeople very angry. They
| didnât believe that banana ice cream
| stealing was going on at the levels that
| are claimed. They didnât believe that the
| banana ice cream industry was losing as
| much revenue to stealing as the industry
| claimed. They didnât believe that ice
| cream vans had much of a future, they
| thought that there are better ways to make
| and deliver ice cream. Some of them didnât
| think that ice cream distribution was all
| that important anyway.
`----

http://confusedofcalcutta.com/2010/04/02/the-digital-economy-bill-thinking-about-banana-ice-cream/

The Digital Economy Bill: Fred Figglehorn, wonât you please come home?

,----[ Quote ]
| Cruikshank introduced the Fred Figglehorn
| character in videos on the JKL Productions
| channel he started on YouTube with his
| cousins, Jon and Katie Smet. He set up the
| Fred channel in October 2005. By April
| 2009, the channel had over 1,000,000
| subscribers, making it the first YouTube
| channel to hit one million subscribers and
| the most subscribed channel at the time.
|
| Over a million subscribers. And creator
| Lucas Cruikshank is 16 years old. He calls
| his channel âprogramming for kids by
| kidsâ. By kids. Letâs remember that.
`----

http://confusedofcalcutta.com/2010/04/03/the-digital-economy-bill-fred-figglehorn-wont-you-please-come-home/

The Digital Economy Bill: Be Careful What You Wish For

,----[ Quote ]
| If you feel really passionate about
| something, take the time to step back and
| look at things from the opposite
| perspective.
|
| Now the Digital Economy Bill is something
| I feel passionate about, which is why, as
| we approach Tuesday 6th April 2010,  Iâve
| been writing a post a day on the subject
| for the past few days.
`----

http://confusedofcalcutta.com/2010/04/05/the-digital-economy-bill-be-careful-what-you-wish-for/

PublicACTA

http://publicacta.org.nz/

Make a submission on copyright in the digital environment.

,----[ Quote ]
| And note this in your diary, too: the
| PublicACTA conference, being held in
| Wellington on 10 April, just days before
| the (secret) ACTA talks open in
| Wellington.
`----

http://hicksvillecomics.com/?p=610

Recent:

 â Digital Liberty Activism

,----[ Quote ]
| In my interview in this episode, I focused on
| digital liberty issues, which I believe to be
| hugely important and becoming more so every
| day. If youâre ready to find out more about
| the issues I discussed, hereâs a quick guide
| along with hints on taking action. I mentioned
| writing to your MP and MEP â thereâs an
| encouraging guide to read if the idea makes
| you nervous.
`----

http://webmink.com/2010/03/31/digital-activism/

Whatâs Yours Is Ours

,----[ Quote ]
| You'll have heard of the Digital Economy Bill:
| it introduces powers to cut your Internet
| connection if you're caught illegally
| downloading films, music or software. It does
| more than that. It takes your photographs from
| you, too.
|
| Until now, if someone found one of your
| photographs and wanted to use it commercially,
| they couldn't without first asking you. Clause
| 43 changes all that by allowing the use of
| âOrphan Worksâ - photographs, illustrations
| and other artworks whose owners cannot be
| found.
`----

http://stop43.org.uk/pages/read_more.html

The Digital Economy Bill: A taxation on salt

,----[ Quote ]
| MPs have the opportunity now to take the
| Digital Economy Bill in wash-up and do just
| what a wash-up implies: clean it out. If
| they donât, and if lobbies like BPI get
| their way, weâre in for a satyagraha.
`----

http://confusedofcalcutta.com/2010/03/29/the-digital-economy-bill-a-taxation-on-salt/

Lib Dems to fight Digital Economy Bill over 'wash-up'

,----[ Quote ]
| The Liberal Democrats will try to block the
| Digital Economy Bill from being fast-
| tracked into law before the election.
|
| On Tuesday afternoon, the party's chief
| whip Paul Burstow tweeted that he had told
| the government the Liberal Democrats will
| not support the bill as it is drafted
| because there is "not enough time for MPs
| to examine it in detail".
|
| The bill is expected to be become part of
| 'wash-up', a brief period at the end of a
| sitting parliament when outstanding
| legislation becomes the subject of back-
| room deals between the main two parties,
| the Conservatives and Labour.
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/regulation/2010/03/30/lib-dems-to-fight-digital-economy-bill-over-wash-up-40088498/

7 days to stop the Bill!