[News] XFCE Enthusiasts Explain Why It is a Relevant Desktop Environment

  • Subject: [News] XFCE Enthusiasts Explain Why It is a Relevant Desktop Environment
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 21:32:53 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Evolution of the Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Clutter is no good on a desktop. It takes
| too long to find anything. There is a
| reason the old designs are popular. They
| work. The new designs work for their
| designers but not anyone over 50, or under
| 10. Thatâs about half of humanity. Do what
| you want with the desktop but leave me
| XFCE4 and such that boot like lightning and
| can move as fast as I can. My son likes the
| new stuff. His hand is just a blur as he
| clicks on stuff at 1680. I have to squint
| four inches from the monitor to see any
| details.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/04/05/evolution-of-the-desktop/

Returning to Linux, where to start? Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| The rest of the package I would rate as
| average. Nothing really screams wow,
| nothing else is really lacking. With this
| you get a solid XFCE distro, albeit a bit
| fragile that is not as robust as others. If
| you are a fan of PCLinuxOS, the support is
| there, the community that is second to none
| and the packages are customized towards
| what those users are wanting to see. I love
| that the links are there in Firefox and I
| love the line "The distro-hopper-stopper"
| as I have always felt PCLinuxOS was one
| that would stick with the user a bit more
| than others.
`----

http://knolinuxguy.blogspot.com/2010/04/returning-to-linux-where-to-start-part.html

Recent:

Linux Mint 8 Helena Announces the Release of Xfce Version

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Mint developers are proud to announce
| the release of the Xfce version of Linux Mint
| 8. This latest release features the
| lightweight Xfce desktop environment and has
| most of the nautilus features in built.
`----

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/linux-mint-8-announces-xfce-release-helena.html

Linux Mint 8 Xfce and LXDE Editions Released

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux-Mint-8-Xfce-and-LXDE-Editions-Released-138946.shtml

Linux Mint 8 âHelenaâ Xfce released!

,----[ Quote ]

`----