[News] Sub-notebooks Running GNU/Linux Doing Fine

  • Subject: [News] Sub-notebooks Running GNU/Linux Doing Fine
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 22:23:24 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Netbooks are Alive and Well

,----[ Quote ]
| Most businesses would be very happy with
| 33% year over year growth in units shipped.
| The panic/hype that the iPad will somehow
| damage netbooks is silly. Lower the price
| and there will be new surge in salesâ Oh.
| You will have to dump that other OS to
| lower the price. Use GNU/Linux. It works
| better and costs less. Let the folks with
| too much cash buy the iPad. The rest of us
| will be able to afford two netbooks running
| GNU/Linux instead of one iPad. We can use
| one and give the other to a friend.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/04/05/netbooks-are-alive-and-well/

Hands-on: Ben NanoNote Micronotebook

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ben has OpenWrt-based Linux with an ash
| console, BusyBox and the opkg package
| manager. Connecting the mini-USB cable
| provides USB network connectivity. The
| dmesg kernel ring buffer command that it
| registers as highspeed USB device with the
| cdc_ether (communications device class, or
| CDC) kernel module. The kernel version is
| 2.6.32 and the images are often newly
| built, which the NanoNotes changelog
| explains. The last version (image
| 2010-03-26) added Python, PHP 5, make,
| OpenVPN and tcpdump. The new image can be
| updated via software or hardware or USB
| boot. The latter is great for tinkerers,
| but more than tedious for end-users. For
| us, a couple of circuit board connections
| shorted out while removing the battery.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Hands-on-Ben-NanoNote-Micronotebook

Indamixx Vs. Ipad - Linux offers significant advantages to the Pro Audio
production crowd on the go. Video Review of Ipad Music applications

,----[ Quote ]
| Mobile Music Making just got a lot more
| popular this weekend with the debut of the
| Apple Ipad. But how does it stack up to the
| original Indamixx portable studio and
| touchscreen tablet?
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/12011.html

If Apple's iPad Wins, Who Loses?

,----[ Quote ]
| Theyâre likely to produce netbooks
| architecturally similar to Appleâs -- ARM-
| based processor, Solid State memory, and a
| Unix-based O/S (Linux, Android, Chrome).
| Not Intel (INTC), Seagate (STX), and
| Microsoft.
|
| Weâll spend more time detailing the âwhyâ
| in the future, but the bottom line is
| simple: lower cost. ARM/Linux is a small
| fraction of the cost of WinTel. Solid State
| Storage is more expensive (for now), and
| manufacturers will have to make up for this
| cost increase somewhere.
`----

http://www.minyanville.com/businessmarkets/articles/apple-adobe-ipad-apple-ipad-microsoft/4/5/2010/id/27620

Recent:

Tablets, Netbooks and Ultra Thins... Oh My!

,----[ Quote ]
| Trinity Audio Group's awarding winning Indamixx line of
| portable studio's partners with Renoise and Create
| Digital Music to kick off this falls hottest song
| contest. "Trackers are back" says creative director
| Ronald Stewart.
`----

http://linuxpr.com/releases/11655.html

Indamixx Studio offers Linux-based netbook configured for music

,----[ Quote ]
| If youâre a big audiophile and are in the market for a netbook, we might just
| have something for you that fits the bill. The Indamixx Laptop offers up a
| ton of pre-installed audio software on a Linux-based OS and the entire system
| falls under $500.
|
| The Indamixx Laptop, from Trinity Audio Group, was announced today and is the
| perfect choice for DJâs, producers and remixers. It uses an Intel Atom
| processor and makes it easy to create and broadcast your music on the web.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/indamixx-studio-offers-linux-based-netbook-configured-for-music-2624369/

Linux Carried Along on Netbooks Wave

,----[ Quote ]