[News] Why Intellectual Monopolists Keep Losing Their Battle for Survival (and Try to Change Laws)

  • Subject: [News] Why Intellectual Monopolists Keep Losing Their Battle for Survival (and Try to Change Laws)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 23:30:43 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Shirky: What "people must pay for content" really means

,----[ Quote ]
| Clay Shirky's latest broadside, "The
| Collapse of Complex Business Models," is as
| incandescent as ever. It's a thoughtful and
| provocative piece on the way that "high
| quality" products (which are also complex
| and expensive) reach diminishing returns,
| where they are being made ever-more complex
| without any rise in value, because the
| institutions that made them don't know how
| to be less complex. It's a great commentary
| on walled gardens, paywalls, and the
| reflexive entertainment industry sneer that
| YouTube is made out of nothing but
| priceless pirated media and worthless
| videos of cats.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/05/shirky-what-people-m.html

NYTimes Ethicist: Not Unethical To Download Unauthorized Copy Of Physical Book You Own

,----[ Quote ]
| He goes on to quote a publishing exec who
| disagrees, insisting that any unauthorized
| download is "stealing" and warns Cohen: "to
| condone this is to condone theft." But, of
| course, that's ridiculous. It is not theft
| at all. Nothing is missing. No one has lost
| out on anything. The publisher already got
| its money from this guy.

Piracy Rampant Among Spanish Government Officials

,----[ Quote ]
| While the Spanish Government tries to ram
| through legislation that will enable the
| authorities to shut down file-sharing sites
| more rapidly, employees of the ministry
| responsible have been exposed as pirates.
| Fresh data shows that at nearly all
| ministries, staff have been downloading
| copyrighted material.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/piracy-rampant-among-spanish-government-officials-100403/

Recording Industry: Please Ignore Others' Bogus Studies -- Only Our Own Bogus Studies Count

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, this is the IFPI we're talking about,
| and if ever there were an organization that
| knows something about studies that are
| "pure speculation," it would be the IFPI.
| Every year the IFPI comes out with one of
| the more laughable reports on the "impact"
| of file sharing. The 2010 report is
| particularly full of baseless speculation,
| such as claiming that file sharing "harmed"
| some of the best selling music and movies
| in the last couple of years.

UK Shop Refuses To Make Prints Of Digital Photos Because They're 'Too Good' And Must Infringe

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears that a similar story is playing
| itself out across the pond in the UK, where
| the popular retailer Boots apparently
| refused to print one woman's photos because
| they were seen as "too good" for her to
| have taken, and therefore must be
| infringing on someone's copyrights (thanks
| to Dave Michels for sending this in). The
| woman even got a signed letter, and when
| that didn't work, came back with the
| (pregnant) woman who was in the photos to
| let the staff know that these photos were,
| indeed, legit and not covered by someone
| else's copyright. The store still said no.

Memo To News Sites: There Is No Future In âDigital Razzle Dazzleâ

,----[ Quote ]
| So hereâs my position: There is no future
| in a paywall. No salvation in digital
| razzle dazzle.
`----

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-memo-to-news-sites-there-is-no-future-in-digital-razzle-dazzle/

Final Version of "Copying Is Not Theft" Released!

,----[ Quote ]
| Question Copyright's first Minute Meme is a
| response to messages that have tried to
| convince people that copying information is
| the same as stealing property, when it's an
| entirely different (and generally positive)
| thing. Until the air is cleared on that
| point, it's hard to have any kind of useful
| conversation about copying, sharing,
| copyright, or licensing.
`----

http://questioncopyright.org/minute_memes/cint_release

How to Thrive Among Pirates

,----[ Quote ]
| 1) Price your copies near the cost of
| pirated copies. Maybe 99 cents, like
| iTunes. Even decent pirated copies are not
| free; there is some cost to maintain
| integrity, authenticity, or accessibility
| to the work.
|
| 2) Milk the uncopyable experience of a
| theater for all that it is worth, using the
| ubiquitous cheap copies as advertising. In
| the west, where air-conditioning is not
| enough to bring people to the theater,
| Hollywood will turn to convincing 3D
| projection, state-of-the-art sound, and
| other immersive sensations as the reward
| for paying. Theaters become hi-tech
| showcases always trying to stay one step
| ahead of ambitious homeowners in offering
| ultimate viewing experiences, and in turn
| manufacturing films to be primarily viewed
| this way.
|
| 3) Films, even fine-art films, will migrate
| to channels were these films are viewed
| with advertisements and commercials. Like
| the infinite channels promised for cable
| TV, the internet is already delivering ad-
| supported free copies of films.
`----

http://www.kk.org/thetechnium/archives/2010/04/how_to_thrive_a.php

Nintendo Deletes Fan-Made Pokemon MMO

,----[ Quote ]
| Nintendo has issued a cease-and-desist
| notice to the creators of the open source
| PokÃmon MMO Pokenet, requiring that they
| take down their website and surrender the
| pokedev.org domain name used for the game,
| claiming unauthorized use of Nintendo
| trademarks, according to Joystiq.com.
`----

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2010-04-06/nintendo_deletes_fan_made_pokemon_mmo.shtml

More News From The United Kingdom On Davenport Lyons, ACS Law, and Tilly Bailey & Irvine

,----[ Quote ]
| The Sword of Justice has just published an
| article titled âTerence Tsang undercutting
| his friends?â which asks some interesting
| questions about the operations of Davenport
| Lyons, ACS Law, and Tilly Bailey & Irvine.
| All three firms have sent âinfringement
| lettersâ to people that they claim have
| downloaded copies of movies and games.
| While Swordâs questions about the ties
| between the three firms are interesting,
| the point that really strikes me comes from
| Torrentfreak, apparently the monitoring
| software that the firms used cost them
| under $750.00!
|
| OK, so we are in a down economy, and
| software engineers like everyone else are
| having a hard time finding work. But only
| $750.00? Assuming a charge rate of $100.00
| per hour, thatâs only one dayâs worth of
| work. Now admittedly it appears that what
| they did was modify an existing bit torrent
| client, so a lot of the coding was already
| done. But on a lot of projects that Iâve
| been involved with, even the simplest ones,
| the planning stage takes a lot longer than
| that.
`----

http://madhatter.ca/2010/04/05/more-news-from-the-united-kingdom-on-davenport-lyons-acs-law-and-tilly-bailey-irvine/

5 Ways The Google Book Settlement Will Change The Future of Reading

,----[ Quote ]
| If you care about the future of books, you
| need to understand the Google Book
| Settlement. It's a complicated legal
| document, but we've talked to some of its
| architects, detractors, and defenders - and
| break it all down for you.
`----

http://io9.com/5501426/5-ways-the-google-book-settlement-will-change-the-future-of-reading

Why Authors, Agents, and Publishers Should Embrace Google Book Search

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://michaelhyatt.com/2010/03/why-authors-agents-and-publishers-should-embrace-google-book-search.html