[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Expands, Gets New Appearance

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Expands, Gets New Appearance
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 02:12:12 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Dellâs Ubuntu Linux Strategy Extends to China

,----[ Quote ]
| From time to time, Dell does a poor job
| articulating its Ubuntu Linux strategy. But
| sources close to Dell and Canonical
| continue to insist the relationship remains
| healthy and âstronger than ever.â Hereâs an
| update on Dellâs Ubuntu strategy â which
| includes a dramatic Dell-Ubuntu PC push in
| China.
|
| First, some background: Dell began shipping
| Ubuntu preloads in mid-2007 on selected
| U.S. desktops. Dellâs decision to offer
| Ubuntu came only a few months after
| Microsoft launched Windows Vista. That
| certainly caught my attention.
|
| By July 2007, I jumped on the Dell Ubuntu
| bandwagon, and hoped to eventually launch
| an Ubuntu-centric web site that tracked
| Canonicalâs business strategy.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2010/04/07/dells-ubuntu-strategy-extends-to-china/

Ubuntu 10.10 codenamed Maverick Meerkat

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 10.10 will be codenamed Maverick
| Meerkat, as Canonical pushes social-
| networking services to the forefront of the
| popular open-source distro.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/357010/ubuntu-10-10-codenamed-maverick-meerkat

Ubuntu considering critical bugs an "invalid" bug?

http://justimho.blogspot.com/2010/04/ubuntu-considering-critical-bugs.html

Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/software/12009-Ubuntu-Maverick-Meerkat.html

Ubuntu 10.10 codenamed Maverick Meerkat

,----[ Quote ]
| Unitrends, the leader in affordable,
| vertically integrated, disk-based all-in-
| one data protection appliances, today
| announced that all of its backup appliances
| have been certified for use with the Ubuntu
| operating environment through a partnership
| with Canonical, the commercial sponsor of
| the Ubuntu project. Unitrends now supports
| Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix, Ubuntu 9.10
| Desktop Edition, and Ubuntu 9.10 Server
| Edition and is actively working to certify
| Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Recent announcements from:

,----[ Quote ]
| -- Unitrends announced that all of its
| backup appliances have been certified for
| use with the Ubuntu operating environment
| through a partnership with Canonical, the
| commercial sponsor of the Ubuntu project.
| Unitrends now supports Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook
| Remix, Ubuntu  9.10 Desktop Edition, and
| Ubuntu 9.10 Server Edition and is actively
| working to certify Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
`----

http://www.infostor.com/index/articles/display/0599717765/articles/infostor/business-briefs/2010/april-2010/recent-announcements.html

New User Interface and Logo for Ubuntu 10.4

,----[ Quote ]
| The new Ubuntu will have a much more
| stylish design which seems to have
| influences from both Microsoft and Apple.
| According to Ubuntuâs branding page, the
| overall design theme from 2004-2010 was
| âhumanâ, while the new version uses âlightâ
| as its overall theme.
`----

http://crenk.com/new-user-interface-and-logo-for-ubuntu-10-4/

Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Boots In 3.6 Seconds [Using SSD]

,----[ Quote ]
| The upcoming release of Ubuntu, i.e Ubuntu
| 10.04 Lucid Lynx, is already showing signs
| that it boots fast â very very fast if you
| are using SSD. The Ubuntu developers will
| probably not be able to achieve the 10-
| second boot that they were aiming for in
| Ubuntu 10.04, but an Ubuntu Developer,
| Benjamin Drung, has managed to boot Ubuntu
| 10.04 Lucid Lynx in 3.6 seconds using SSD.
| On a normal spindle-based hard disk, such
| booting times, of course, cannot be
| achieved due to the mechanical parts that
| are involved.
`----

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx-boots-in-3-6-seconds-using-ssd.html

Canonical's desktop Linux OS fitted with new look and feel

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/canonicals-desktop-linux-os-fitted-new-look-and-feel-667