[News] Sub-notebooks With GNU/Linux Spread Through OLPC, IBM

  • Subject: [News] Sub-notebooks With GNU/Linux Spread Through OLPC, IBM
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 08:14:34 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

PaleXO is Deploying OLPC to Palestinian Schools

,----[ Quote ]
| PaleXO is the Palestinian XO Laptop
| Community. We are working with the
| coordination and support of the Palestinian
| Educational Initiative (PEI) on
| implementing the XO laptop project In
| Palestine, and trying to create a success
| story out of it.
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/countries/palestine/palexo_is_deploying_olpc_to_pa.html

IBM puts cloud on Ubuntu netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interesting hook-up, IBM collaborated
| with Indian outfit Simmtronics to make a
| netbook which runs the new Ubuntu Netbook
| Remix operating system.
`----

http://www.thinq.co.uk/news/2010/4/5/ibm-puts-cloud-on-ubuntu-netbook/

Free Netbook OSes

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu Netbook Remix
|
| Also known as Ubuntu Netbook Edition, this
| is one of the earliest and best known
| netbook-optimized OSes. UNR basically
| contains optimizations for Intel Atom
| processors which are used in most netbooks
| today, as well as a new application
| launcher and other tweaks that make it
| easier to use on small screens. However
| itâs still very recognizable as a full
| Linux OS and nothing is stripped out, as
| opposed to other oversimplified PDA-style
| interfaces with icons for programs and
| nothing deeper.
`----

http://tech2.in.com/india/topstuff/netbooks-laptops/free-netbook-oses/117692/0

iPad falls short on cloud integration

,----[ Quote ]
| Somewhat to my surprise, I'm equally as
| excited about the upcoming Ubuntu 10.04
| (Lucid) release for netbooks as I am by the
| iPad. The iPad is not yet a netbook-killer.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/04/ipad-falls-short-on-cloud-inte.html

AppleâS Ipad And Its Operating Function

,----[ Quote ]
| The huge problem is that there is no
| multithreading technology. This means that
| your $600+ tablet computer can only run one
| application at a time just like your
| iPhone. For some who like multitasking
| while using a computer this is a big let
| down. Even the cheapest sub $300 netbooks
| running Linux can handle multiple
| applications at one time and that hardware
| is quite a bit less powerful than what the
| iPad has.
`----

http://losangelesnewstoday.com/apple%E2%80%99s-ipad-and-its-operating-function/96298

Google Android fonts now available on a netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| So the Android operating system seems to be
| catching on with many folks these days in a
| myriad of devices, so why not adorn your
| little netbook with fonts from the Google
| Android OS instead? Developed by Ascender
| Corporationâs Steve Matteson, this custom
| family of fonts including Droid Sans, Droid
| Sans Mono, and Droid Serif are sure to
| spruce up your netbook whenever you type
| out a geeky document.
`----

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/04/google_android_fonts_now_available_on_a_netbook.html

Recent:

etbooks are Alive and Well

,----[ Quote ]
| Most businesses would be very happy with
| 33% year over year growth in units shipped.
| The panic/hype that the iPad will somehow
| damage netbooks is silly. Lower the price
| and there will be new surge in salesâ Oh.
| You will have to dump that other OS to
| lower the price. Use GNU/Linux. It works
| better and costs less. Let the folks with
| too much cash buy the iPad. The rest of us
| will be able to afford two netbooks running
| GNU/Linux instead of one iPad. We can use
| one and give the other to a friend.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/04/05/netbooks-are-alive-and-well/

Hands-on: Ben NanoNote Micronotebook