[News] Russia Builds Free/Open Source Substitute for Microsoft Windows

  • Subject: [News] Russia Builds Free/Open Source Substitute for Microsoft Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 08:19:42 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft to soon face competition from Russia

,----[ Quote ]
| Written completely from scratch, ReactOS will
| run all softwares that are supported by
| Windows XP. An initial pre-launch version
| (alpha) has been launched and the final
| version is expected in the next few months.
| Users such as Nirmalya Mukherjee, a programmer
| based in Kolkata, said using free software is
| better than downloading pirated version of the
| Windows software.
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/infotech/software/Microsoft-to-soon-face-competition-from-Russia-/articleshow/5768510.cms

Recent:

ReactOS Hits a Fork In The Road

,----[ Quote ]
| So what ReactOS will now start to do, is to
| leverage the work that the WINE project has
| been doing on the win32 system. It's an idea
| that makes a whole lot of sense, seeing as
| WINE has been working at replicating win32
| for years (with some success, just look at
| CodeWeaver's CrossOver apps) while ReactOS
| has been focused on win32 as part of a
| larger open source windows implementation.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2010/01/reactos-hits-a-fork-in-the-roa.html

Try 10 OSes You've Never Heard Of

,----[ Quote ]
| ReactOS
|
| Goal: Run Windows apps on an open-source OS
|
| Out of all the operating systems we looked
| at, ReactOS is the one most likely to have
| Steve Ballmer tossing chairs. Originally
| named FreeWin95, the developersâ original
| goal was to create a completely open-source
| clone of, you guessed it, Windows 95. As
| time went on, however, there was little
| serious code to show and it was clear that
| the NT code base was the future for
| Microsoft.
|
| In 1998, ReactOS rose out of the ashes of
| FreeWin95. Early progress was slow, but in
| 2004 version 0.2.0 arrived with a usable
| desktop and respectable, albeit very
| limited, Windows compatibility. Today,
| ReactOS is based around a home-grown kernel,
| but the project makes heavy use of the WINE
| libraries that are popular for running
| Windows applications on Linux.
`----

http://pcplus.techradar.com/node/3175/

Installing ReactOS on KVM virtual machine on Gentoo

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blog.mtjm.eu/2009/9/3/installing-reactos-on-kvm-virtual-machine-on-gentoo